project car non opp insurance whats up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blackdahlia6

i am living in my parents household and i am about to be added to their policy on our camry. ill probably drive that car probably twice a week for an hour total. i am told that it is going to cost an extra like 150 a month for me to be insured on that car.

if i register my car as non opp right when i get put on their policy is it going to cost any for my non opp? do i really have to be paying liability to drive my step moms car an hour total a week while she is the primary driver? if i got in a wreak wouldnt her insurance just go up, or am i fucked for not being insured on it and driving it?

it seems like a dumb question, of course you have to be insured but if im not the primary driver why should my step mom and i both be paying the same for the same car?

im just pissed to hear my cars out of commision for now and i have to still be paying insurance to go to the grocery store and the junk yard

or are insurance companies just being bastards as usual

fuck that dont get on the insurance...if you will barely be driving the car then you have no need for her insurance..or just get a ride from friends

before all my friends and i got cars, everyone had their license and werent on insurance and still drove their parents cars places.

my number 1 question is why do i have to be insured on the car if im not the primary driver? lets say i was insured on my car and my friend on his and i drove his car and got pulled over, im not on that cars insurance so im busted? nah that cant be true cuz its happened many times

the CAR needs to be insured, not the DRIVER.

you should automatically be on their policy as a driver in the household already

i think thats what he's talking about
the insurance company found out there is an additional driver in the house with no vehicle in his name
so they want to add him to the policy and charge more since they have to cover him driving the car

this is what happened to me and my brother when we got licenses
we had to go and get out own insurance/cars so they didn't rape our parents to cover us on their cars

i think thats what he's talking about
the insurance company found out there is an additional driver in the house with no vehicle in his name
so they want to add him to the policy and charge more since they have to cover him driving the car

this is what happened to me and my brother when we got licenses
we had to go and get out own insurance/cars so they didn't rape our parents to cover us on their cars

yes thats what happened, they have me and my step mom paying the same amount for the same car.

at least my car will only be out of commission for a month

I don't think it matters whether you have your own vehicle or not. Once the insurance company finds out how many licensed drivers are in the household you're basically stuck.

Just as you will be rated on your step-mothers car, she (and your dad) will be rated on any vehicle you own.

Just telling them "he has his own car, he won't be driving ours" isn't going to make any difference.

At least in my experience.

bastards. well when my cars up and running and my insurance goes back to only my name it will actually be cheaper than what im paying now

things happening 8 years ago are still killing my parents insurance

once we showed i had a vehicle and my own insurance i didn't need to be added to their policy any longer

if thats the case, why don't you just insure your car now?

it is insured but its out of commission for a month or so and i need my step moms car to drive until then.

they said i have to be on the policy of a running car if im going to be driving

my dad thinks i dont know how to fix my car and says its going to become a permanent lawn ornament. thus he thinks itll take me 4 months to put rear gsr disc brakes and refresh the engine with new parts

my dad thinks i dont know how to fix my car and says its going to become a permanent lawn ornament. thus he thinks itll take me 4 months to put rear gsr disc brakes and refresh the engine with new parts

If 4 months is the over/under, I'll take the over. lol

Any takers?

Edit:

I mean, he's 18, and I remember myself at 18, and I seem to remember some posts about hallucinigenic drugs in the past. Sometimes the priorities of an 18 year old get skewed.

Nothing personal young man.

Last edited:
does your engine run?
if it does don't rip it apart
and fuck the brakes, i'd rather have a car i can drive over a project car that sits there

what does this have to do with the insurance company knowing that your car isnt operable?

it slipped out when insurance prices got muffed up and my name got involved.

ahhh good to see see my lsd joke is still floating in the minds of people haha

i wouldnt have decided to give my car some TLC if there would be any slight chance of my car being out for 4 months andnot be able to get to my job in this economy. but thanks for trying! i know what your saying, my friend has 4 chevy camaros in his moms back yard. all which dont run. im not that guy.

i guess i can thank my mom for that!

My insurance policy says on it that in CT any licensed drivers that live in the household must be listed on the policy if they will be driving the vehicles covered under the policy. If they are not listed the insurance company does not have to pay. Check your state laws.

Back