Question about SR20 swap??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Alright I'm asking this for a buddy at work. He just got ahold of a '85 Nissan 4WD pickup that is in great condition for dirt cheap. This shit is in great condition for its age and he only paid a grand for it. Well its got the Z24 motor in it and it runs really good but isn't smog legal for here in CA because the EGR is disconnected and a couple wires aren't hooked up to the carb, yeah i know this is small shit, but whatever.

The thing is he wants to put another motor in and was thinking of an SR20. The truck has a divorced transfer case so he could still use the SR tranny, just have to modify the yoke on the driveshaft that goes the the transfer case a little. Just wondering is anyone knows if the SR20 can bolt up to that Z24 Tranny, or does it definately need to be swapped too. Also, I know that here in Cali we can get swaps ref'ed, but can an SR20DET be ref'ed or does it have to be non-turbo?

also anyone else ever done this kind of thing with a pickup. I remember on Mischief they showed a guy that had a Mighty Max 4WD with an eclipse GST motor in it and it was badass, but never seen it done with a Nissan.

oh it isnt? i wasnt sure, never looked into what nissan swaps are legal. I guess i could ask over on nissantech, but that shits always dead as hell

nissantech is closed. lol

the L series is nto a k-seires. i doubt it will be a bolt in in the first place, and smog, is a whole other ball game

Hmmm, i never mentioned the K series, but whtever. Bolt in doesn't matter, cause this guy is into project shit and the harder, the better, just more fun. I am not really asking if the swap can be done, cause i know the obvious answer, yes anything can be done. My real Q was about the tranny and the smog.

anyone know anybody who has legally swapped an SR into a 240 in Cali?

that would take some sreious cutting of the firewall, have you ever seen those engine bays? they are like the size of a 1st gen. crx

what i meant about the project is, it needs to be a daily driver, so it will stay 4 cyl. and he wants to ref it, but AZ registration is an option too. fuck it, if it was just to fuck around, it would be easier to throw a 350 in it, they got mount kits for the toyotas, so someone would prob. have one for a nissan

RWD SR20DET = JDM only... so no, you won't be able to legally smog it in California. It's not a USDM engine setup.

Back