Rear upper control arms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stauron

93 canadian civic si (D16Z6) 546120KM on original engine
Most of the suspension has been replaced.
The J2 lower control arms have been great.
The Skunk2 front upper control arms are ok, the ball joints wear out but are cheap and easy to replace, and they perform fine.

The rear are painful. I've had 3 different sets in less than 6 years. The first no name brand lasted 10 months, the Skunk2 lasted a couple years and the latest (don't remember the brand) are wearing out again. To make it worse the mount point in the body has come loose, so I need to take apart the interior every time to change them.

So, 2 questions:
1) is there a better brand to use?
2) I think that the main problem is that they are just exposed to every grain of sand that I kick up so the bushings turn to goo very quickly (well that and I'm not a dainty driver). Is there some kind of boot or cover that would work to extend their life?

How are the rear trailing arm bushings? Maybe they're in bad shape and causing this issue?

yeah, i've never heard of these being a constant issue... i think you may have some other suspension/alignment issue thats doing something to cause this.

I had my stocks on until a few months ago. Since 1992 (sittin' low since 1996) and they were a little tired but not bad. My RTA's were hammered. All new bushings now.

The RTA were junk but I replaced those this year. Maybe they already did the damage before I replaced them, though.

Thanks for the input.

Back