reason number...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah but CA has known about this issue since the early 80's. I know that there were plans back that far for a pipeline from Alaska to norther CA - it was just too cost prohibitive back then. I still don't see why treated water can't be piped somewhere.....Hell even if it is just for irrigation. I have always wondered if the water was back up to where it generally is with some of the reservoirs would it be enough to impact the weather patterns in parts of the state.
Money..

We recently voted for 7 billion in infrastructure improvements.
http://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_1,_Water_Bond_(2014)

post-41538-Shia-Labeouf-Magic-gif-Imgur-vZSU.gif

I have always wondered why they don't A) use desal plants then either harvest salt from the brine or sell it to midwest states for winter road use. B) pipe the treated water back into the reservoirs in area to fill them back up. The only issue with a majority of treated water is the mentality that it came right from your neighbor's toilet. Instead of dumping it into the ocean pump it to a reservoir.
Mentality is key. Our Sewer department stops treating the water once it is ph balanced and completely clean. As a demonstration, they grow goldfish in an "effluent tank" in the entrance of our plant. Treating waste is a science, with a lab for constant testing and adjustments. If you were to take that same effluent, which basically has no turbidity or solids(not like our rivers after a hard rain), it would be relatively easy to treat to Bottled water quality using membrane filters. Unless you're around the process, with a high quality crew and equipment, then the it's hard to imagine what a person can do.

Interesting note on your effluent/gray/potable water ideas:

Lubbock, TX uses treated effluent water to cool turbines for electricity production. When the wind blows in the "right" (wrong) direction, it smells like shit. But, it is an efficient use of treated water.

As far as the water shortage, affluent Californians should install their own private water towers, and convince this guy to turn his airships into mobile, solar-powered, desalination plants.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/fli...ams-lighter-than-air-travel-is-back-16292687/

Back