Receiver suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Alright so I'm sort of an audiophile, well not really because I'm cheap but I love high quality sound. Right now I have my Xbox 360 connected to my PC via RCA and have Sony MDR-V6s running directly off of the onboard sound card(whatever is on the MSI 790FX-GD70).

I want to implement "Dolby Headphone" or Yamaha's "Silent Cinema", and something that'll also drive my Sony MDR-V6 headphones or, possibly Audio Technica ATH-M50 that I'm considering.

Initially I was thinking of getting a quality sound card(HT Omega Clara Halo), but it only supports stereo digital input(defeats the purpose); and the only option is Asus Xonar D2(X) which seems to have problems too. For the price, I figure a receiver is the best bang for buck since not only does it drive headphones well, but makes switching sources much more easier.

Right now I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V467(seems like a lot of V367s were DOA) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115239 ; but are there any other receivers worth looking at? Main reason is "Silent Cinema" which is similar to Dolby Headphones and is able to take digital 5.1 from the Xbox 360 and create a virtual surround sound. I'd like DTS-Master-HD also since it seems a lot of blu-ray players use it. I pretty much want to build my own personal entertainment center I guess. Any feedback?

Y23-4241-main01-am.jpg

Yamaha RXV567BL 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver - 630W, HDMI, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD Audio, Cinema DSP, 3D-Ready, Black, (Open Box) at TigerDirect.com

Damn, looks good! Though, I can get it cheaper on ebay(I have to pay tax which bumps it to $300); but looks like it doesn't carry the same 2yr warranty.

Back