Rev limiter changes after new exhaust install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
So i was running an open header for about a week, waiting for my cat to come in so i could install my Fujistubo exhaust. It was obnoxiouslly loud so i wanted to see how loud it would be at redline. With an open header i could bounce off 7200 ( yes i know it wasnt smart, but it was only once or twice). I just had my exhaust installed a few days ago and wanted to hear the sound through a full range of throttle and when i went to listen at redline, the car hits a fuel cut at 6000, and check engine light comes on just like it would bounching off redline. Im not sure what changed the redline, i know i didnt bend a valve, and back pressure couldnt change it could it?

Any ideas?

Every P28 ive seen, the check engine light comes on as a "shift light" at redline.

Its no code, cuz it only flashes on when i bounce off redline, but still dnt get why redline changed.. i didnt change ECU's

might be a bad cat dude... if it's cracked,, or damaged internally....

Your ECU is NOT a Virgin.....my hatch had the P28 in it (stock 92 Si ECU w/D16Z6) and there is no shift light CEL.

Sounds like a limp issue but I do not know about 6k limp mode....usually lower rpms in limp mode. No CEL throwing codes???

That ECU has a rev limiter.....obviously but you have a chipped ECU and something might be wrong with it.....?

if the cat was dropped during loading, shipping, receiving, inventory at the shop... the the catalitic converter element inside might have cracked, causing it to shift, and essentially block itself.... its a honeycomb design, and if all the passaqges dont line up prefectly, it will be blocked up.... and i know how many of those things get dropped, once upon a time, i worked in a cherry bomb warehouse in romeoville, il....essentially, you have to hold it up to the light and make sure you can see thru all the passages.....

^^^ Worth looking into. I'd take it out and hold it up to the light. I have seen a bad/clogged catalytic converter too (but in a domestic) we beat it out with a steel pole and the car came alive when we re-installed it. But TurboRex90 has a brand new one......so I would check it and if you can't see light through the other side......send it back.

I had a clogged cat cause SIGNIFICANT power loss once. All we did was a cam change.

I'll def look into the cat issue.

Another issue has come up recently, my car starts to jerk forward and low rpm, it feels like if you would drop the clutch without giving it gas.. It's been doing it for a day or too and my check engine light just came on, ima check and see what code it is when I get time.

Discovery! So I'm throwing a code 6, for an engine coolant sensor. I was readin up and that could cause numerous problems if it tells the ecu it's still not up to temp. Which could affect my redline, why my car is bucking (ignition or fuel problem) and anything else that may happen. I'm gonna replace it soon and see what happens.

Back