RIP BB King

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
As a guitar player, 99% of his playing is unimpressive to me. Nothing technical, out of the box, or too difficult to play. His vocals weren't that good either if I could be honest... ( i can see my firends rolling their eyes at me for this, considering the 'vocals' that i listen too... lol)

but that 1% is everything. His vibrato and feel... It's simply one of the best that has ever touched a piece of wood with a string on it. THAT is the influence he gave to the likes of Clapton, srv, etc. Feel is something that cannot be taught. You either have it, find it, or never do.

Many people are just trying to feed themselves without ruining their shorts at 85. He was on tour doing what he loved sharing his gift with the world until almost the very end.

Look for the PBS special to air again. Probably will come on in the next few days.

some vids here: http://www.pbs.org/specials/pbs-remembers-bb-king/

RIP

I feel that his music brought to the world a way to open up a lot of options for music to grow and diversify. Seen him in concert twice and it was always a good time.

89 years, doing what he loved. Lucky man. RIP

As a guitar player, 99% of his playing is unimpressive to me. Nothing technical, out of the box, or too difficult to play. His vocals weren't that good either if I could be honest... ( i can see my firends rolling their eyes at me for this, considering the 'vocals' that i listen too... lol)

but that 1% is everything. His vibrato and feel... It's simply one of the best that has ever touched a piece of wood with a string on it. THAT is the influence he gave to the likes of Clapton, srv, etc. Feel is something that cannot be taught. You either have it, find it, or never do.

Many people are just trying to feed themselves without ruining their shorts at 85. He was on tour doing what he loved sharing his gift with the world until almost the very end.

Look for the PBS special to air again. Probably will come on in the next few days.

some vids here: http://www.pbs.org/specials/pbs-remembers-bb-king/

It's interesting. I'm sitting here listening to BB King at work and I thought of this. A lot of musician's like to talk about the technical skills and who is good at technically playing a single item, etc. Some of the technical skills don't really translate to consumable music that everyone enjoys. BB though. Man. Made some real real good music. I'm not a blues fan but I'm a BB King fan.

Yeah, there's the 'shred' counterpoint. 99% technical skill, lightning fast speed, and absolutely miserable to listen to, no melody, no feel. Who cares if you can play 324324 scales in all modes and inversions in 3 seconds. it still sounds like shit.

Back