so i dumped the thinkpad helix

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
really liked the touch interface but was never really capable since i was used to the iphone and ipad - the smoothness of the iOS killed it for me. plus it got SOOO HOT all the time and the 5+ hours of battery life it had 6 months ago is now 2.5 even with the 2 batteries it has.

now i've got a refurb late 2013 MBPro with the i7, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd. parallels with win8.1 on it. i've always loved the retina display and mac touchpad. refurb because it was a few hundred cheaper than the same model, new. battery life after 2 cycles is almost a full day at the office unplugged.

i don't use mavericks for much (besides imovie and itunes) and the PC side does all my other stuff (outlook, dameware, network file OP. i am really liking how fast it is.

i transferred 9GB of data from USB over WIFI to the NAS in 15 minutes. it helps that we have meraki enterprise WAPs but my helix would take awhile to do the same.

We already talked about this...

Apple makes good hardware. It runs linux and BSD very well. (Mac OS is a derivative of FreeBSD.)

i've kernel panic'd the damn thing 3 times already. twice while running parallels and once without.

as a result i've installed everything on my mac side (office, cs6, itunes) i dont think this experiment is going to last much longer.

My guess would be ram. Apple machines are really picky about ram.

i know you have an older one, but since early/mid 2013 the logic board is best friends with the CPU, RAM, and "SSD" .

macbook_pro_logic_board.jpg

that is retarded for a $1700 machine with a 3 year warranty.

so take it back? I'm not sure what you're getting at. You bought a used machine and are complaining about how it has an issue? There's probably something wrong with the northbridge that they can't find.

i will probably head to the apple store next week when we need to get these spare iphones fixed. i just got the applecare paperwork in the mail. worst case scenario i send some schmuck here away with a new refurb MBPro and i buy a new HP somethingorother.

parallels is a bear to get a network connection in windows after a sleep.

i'm calling this experiment closed. this machine has literally cut my productivity in half. any recommendations on an HP box, preferably 15in with an i7, 180gb or more SSD, and 8gb ram is appreciated :)

I've never had an issue with VMWare, which is MUCH better than parallels...

Then again, I only ever use windows for disassembly anymore.

you have me curious but we're not going to spend $60 on that so I can waste another week trying to work it out. we're quite familiar with parallels (been supporting it since v6) and unfortunately 1 of the 4 3d morons here loves his mac and he parallels 3dsmax for some ridiculously stupid reason instead of just running a bootcamp or even a straight windows box. my domain connection needs are... unique.

i read this... its a really good unbiased comparison and a chunk of it doesn't matter to me since i'm only running a windows VM
http://arstechnica.com/information-...wdown-parallels-desktop-9-vs-vmware-fusion-6/

i'm wondering though if i should just go ahead and install 7x64 instead, but noting here that parallels has not caused one of the crashes - and it would fix my sleep network connection problem.

also every kernel panic i had firefox highlighted and browsing the web....

Last edited:
I reinstalled Firefox on the 12th and no kernel panics yet. still trying to increase my productivity. so spoiled by windows.... push start type calc enter and BAM there it is. i literally just realized this thing had a calc i can drop onto the dock.

coming from a command line driven childhood i was learned into manipulating the windows GUI with the keyboard and using the mouse for things i couldnt do with the keyboard. now its the opposite. most shortcuts i am used to just causes havok lol .

i kept getting the panics.

pulled off my info and restored to factory. Installed my stuff again.... same crap. going to be replacing it with maybe an HP envy. Really liking having a 15" laptop again. the t430 and helix were 13" and just not enough real estate for day to day.

i'll bring this cunt to the apple store and tell them to fix it, then i'll deploy to my users here.

Back