some mobile home remodeling

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
well guys as some may already know that on the 15th its my B-day. SOOO i will be having a cook out with family and friends. Anyway that was one of the reasons to do this addition to the double wide we are renting from. Dont worry we'll have some money taken off for it. It belongs to a friend.

Nicole had always wanted a back porch to cook out in or just hang out. She also wanted to take out 2 windows to have a double door to access the back deck so finally we decided Fri. to go and buy the material. I drew it up and figured what i need and went and bought it today. So far this is what we did.

Here is where the windows used to be....

S7002506.jpg

thers my dad taking off the siding when we encounterd some pissed off wasp nesting inside the walls:eek:
S7002509.jpg

S7002507.jpg

well after we moved some electrical wires and got rid of all the crap we found some rust and some studs that had to be moved and cut. Also the freaking butt hole that did the carpet....Lowes.... did a crapy patch job on the floor before putting down the carpet. As you can see in the below that there is a gap between new MDF floor and the origional Partical Board flooring that is rotting away. Also there is a gap about 2 inches just open. We put in some braces,dead wood and patched her up.

S7002516.jpg

S7002519.jpg

S7002514.jpg

S7002522.jpg

Now for the header,sides and of course the new door:cool:

S7002523.jpg

S7002524.jpg

S7002527.jpg

S7002526.jpg

clifford likes it.
S7002528.jpg

Next we'll build the deck tomorrow and go get the trimming material for the interior and exterior of the door. till next time dudes!!!!!

thanks man. I hope the Deck goes smoother than the door did. The rot and the fact that it was a tight fit made it a bitch to install. I'll talk to you all tomorrow night. its time for bed.

Goodnight HS

Fun dude. Remodels though can be a bitch sometimes, but looks like you guys know what you're doing.

Looks fun... good luck with it. Maybe in the months to come we can start a section on "pimpin' my trailer" :)

There is a hondaswap spinoff site homemodders.com

taco looking good.

It took forever and when i finally clicked submit it kicked me out. SOOOO i'm going to post pics only. You guys can pretty much get an ideaof what i did.

S7002532.jpg

S7002529.jpg

S7002530.jpg

S7002531.jpg

S7002533.jpg

S7002535.jpg

S7002536.jpg

S7002534.jpg

S7002537.jpg

S7002539.jpg

S7002540.jpg

S7002541.jpg

S7002543.jpg

S7002542.jpg

Seal up all the wood asap. Seems like you guys know what you're doing, but why no pressure treated? And why not use joist clips and such instead of "rats" for the joists? I'd strongly suggest doing so. Even small LUS24's would work.

It's pressure treated wood. And I advise against sealing it for a month or two. Due to the recently cut wood, the ends need to dry out a little bit, sealing it will lock in some of the moisture which can cause premature decay.

Just a few other things that I noticed:
Joist hangars are needed, the firring strip that is supporting along the ledger is not going to withstand the strain. Especially if only toe nailed.

I would also suggest some carriage bolts into your 4x4's on at least the corners, There is a lot of strain on those areas and if only nailed, you're exposing yourself to some dangers (deck failure).

Looks good regardless! Are you planning on leaving the 4x's by the steps as tall as they are?

It's pressure treated wood. And I advise against sealing it for a month or two. Due to the recently cut wood, the ends need to dry out a little bit, sealing it will lock in some of the moisture which can cause premature decay.

Just a few other things that I noticed:
Joist hangars are needed, the firring strip that is supporting along the ledger is not going to withstand the strain. Especially if only toe nailed.

I would also suggest some carriage bolts into your 4x4's on at least the corners, There is a lot of strain on those areas and if only nailed, you're exposing yourself to some dangers (deck failure).

Looks good regardless! Are you planning on leaving the 4x's by the steps as tall as they are?

That's what pressure treated wood looks like? Looks to me like tight knot hem-fir. But yeah. We wolmanize every cut that will be exposed to the weather after we make it. Engineers actually call for it most of the time.

yup its PT. you should have seen it it a couple years back. It was lime greeeeeeen:lol:

Luckily they stopped that and brought it back to its original color. It looks like that because they put a little more copper. In a couple months it will actually turn a little yellowish from the copper. I will seal it. Right now i just need it done and trimmed out.

I have the lags for the posts too. As far as the 4x4 post in the fron they will be cut down with a little design on them. Nicole plans to put solar powered lights so thats why i left them like that. Ohhh and the joists will not be having clips. Thats why the 2x2 is there. Everything is screwed down so it should be good for along time. I didnt put clips because as you can see in the previous pics there is a 2x10 board holding the entire center along with the 4x4 posts. In a small 8ft stretch that should be plenty support.

I still need to put the top rails on, i need to put flashing and Eve drip on the top of the door and bottom of the "siding" so the water doesnt go back up. Also need to finish up by trimming the exterior and interior with trim and brick molding.

I have 3 more days to get it done and i'm running out of time.

a box of joist clips and a box of tiko's is less than 50 bucks. Just do it man.

Back