[SPOILERS] Star Wars: Rogue One

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xanatos

Village Idiot
VIP
So I camped out 5 hours with a bunch of friends to be the first people in like last year for episode 7, and I left deeply satisfied. I really enjoyed the movie. The plot(s) were will developed, the pacing felt natural, and the Episode IV tie-ins felt natural and not forced. I'll have to digest it a bit and watch it a few more time at home but I'm willing to go ahead and put this one ahead of the prequels and Episode 7. I like how there really wasn't a "happy ending". I'm trying to be vague since the movie has only been out one day but in any case:

Discuss

I mean I havent seen it yet but the plot is the rebels trying to get the death star plans from the empire.... obviously they failed

a few friends saw it and have raved about it on facebook. i'm not a star wars fan, but i did see 4-6, and 7. never had an interest for 1-3 (those are the more modern ones, right? i did that right? :D )
i'll probably wait for netflix.

camped out? ya'll crazy. I went to the bar, drank 4 IPA's and bought my ticket online with reserved seating. Walked into the theater 2 min after the start.

Unfortunately the theater also served beer, got a little too buzzed and started to fall asleep in the recliner chair in the theater. I need to watch it again, I remember like 10% of the movie. lol

I saw it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's more simple than other star wars movies IMO as you know the final ending. Everyone dies. And they get the plans. But it was well done. Cast was well done. The droid was funny. I definitely thought they did alright on it.

Ehh...I saw it Sunday and wasn't all that impressed. The only character who's death actually felt like it had weight was K2. The others were just a little too bland and generic for me. Granted they're writing a story between two that have already been told, but it really lacked any kind of development outside of normal tropes. It just felt more like a modern action movie where it's heavy on action and light on characters, where as I've always seen Star Wars as a drama that has little action pieces thrown in.

I think the franchise is falling into the trap of "because we can make these elaborate battles, we should" rather than them being a small piece of the film and the characters dominating everything.

I probably would have liked it more if they would have given me a reason to care about her father rather than "they're family, it's important, the end". I think they also missed out on Forest Whitakers character as well. He went a little overboard, and had nothing human about him, and his scene felt a lot like the cantina in 7 where they're like "here's the next piece of the plot, don't ask questions" kinda shit.

The first star wars movies were always about characters (for me) and less about the set piece action movie stuff. I think they went too far towards the action movie and lost the heart.

The last 15 or so minutes were pretty decent and I think much of that has to do with the nostalgia they were hitting for me, and less to do with the quality of story.

I'll definitely give props to the CGI Peter Cushing, that was surprisingly convincing.

I thought it was great. I really liked the pacing of the movie, but I enjoy grand adventures with exotic locales. My wife did not like the fact that they were bouncing around the galaxy, but that has always been the draw for me.

The cgi was also fantastic, and seeing Darth Vader kicking ass was quite a thrill. All in all, I think it had a great balance between action, character draw, and nostalgic interactions.

Back