Sub and amps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yea, its possible, pull the door apart and get a dremel and enlarge the hole to 6.25 i do believe (or read the speaker box, it should say the mounting diameter) and cut it away, drill new mounting holes and use self tapping screws or small bolts with nuts on the back of them

your front speakers are.... 5.25/6.50 i guess there is either a plastic piece making an adapter to 5.25 or it depends on the model.. just pull em and measure your hole in diameter, anything bigger then 5.25, its a 6.5 hole

I used to have a Suzuki Swift, which is basically a clone of a Geo Metro so it's similar. I had a 4" component set up front (Rockford Fosgate), on a RF Punch 250.2 amplifier, and in the trunk I had two HE 12's with a RF Power BD500.1 amplifier. It metered at 146.2 decibels, and the components were loud enough to still be heard over the subs. Don't worry about the size of the front speakers - they aren't going to play bass anyways so why enlarge them? Hacking up your car for that reason isn't worth it. You could make some 6.5" kick panels with a little more effort and have them be removable, plus look better.

damn i missed the thread oh well, crossfire makes a kick ass 1000 watt amp for a reasonable price, 700 bucks retail, 1000D, or Memphis makes a killer amp too, 1000D. oh ya and Zapco ownz in amps, a zapco 9.0 baby, thats what im talking about 2000watts rms, uh ya.

Wan't real power and clean sound quality at a good price. Hollywood digital makes some subs amps and mids. I have out played JL's with Excursion 1280s easy. The HVX 800.2 would play the JL's with no problem. When you are getting an amp it is important to get an amp that has more watts of power than the speakers need. This will inshour that your music is played clean. The amp wouldn't have to strogel to play what load you may put on it. B)

The highest end Hollywood subs are pretty loud.. but not at all designed for sound quality. I'm also guessing their reliability factor is a bit lower than that of JL Audio too. I've never dealt with their amplifiers, so I can't comment on that one. Overpowering subs is only a good idea if 1) they're reliable subs, and 2) you know how to properly tune a system. Cranking the gain up to a predetermined setting isn't a wise idea. To do it properly you should take a volt meter and match the voltage of the speaker terminals to that of the headunit by adjusting the gain. Then you can go ahead and crank the bass boost as high as you want. :) Turning it up farther than that point may seem louder, but it increases the THD (distortion), which has a tendency of frying subwoofers' voice coils.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jul 9 2003, 08:34 PM
turn the gain about 3/4 way

why does everyone call it gain.
when it's actually an impeadance matching network your tuning. with the so called "gain" knob. you can't simply just turn the knob up or down you need to impeadance match the amp to the soucre (best done with an oscilloscpe)and at that point your'll get maximum power transfer.

Not impedance, voltage. Don't confuse people who don't know what they're doing. ;)

i got a brand new zapco ag 750 4 sale still has 9 months warranty
i just want $450
amp is 24" long!!!
don t doubt audiobahn they re just as good as planet audio, crossfire
earth quake and ect.

my most efficient setup
1 12" kicker square
two zapco studio 500
in a 91 civic sedan

certified dbdrage double point score 150.2db!!!

i have a 12w3v2 running on the back two channels of a phoenix gold zx450, but i wouldn't reccomend phoenix gold for the bass, as they run hot as shit... clean signal, but not very efficient. in a week or two i'll be putting some rear fills in and moving the sub to a jl 250/1... i would reccomend using a 250/1, as the wattage it puts out will put that sub right into its most desirable range (these subs work best around 275-300 watts, otherwise you start overloading the sub... sure it will be louder if you put it on 500 watts, but it's gonna break). class d pwns for bass...

i have a hatch with mb quart 215.61's in front, and am putting some older qm series mids in the back for rear fill... i like how it sounds now, but rear fills will make you cream your jeans. end of story.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Jul 16 2003, 03:38 PM-->
Domeskilla
@Jul 9 2003, 08:34 PM
turn the gain about 3/4 way

why does everyone call it gain.
when it's actually an impeadance matching network your tuning. with the so called "gain" knob. you can't simply just turn the knob up or down you need to impeadance match the amp to the soucre (best done with an oscilloscpe)and at that point your'll get maximum power transfer.

go read the fosgate punch amps, its says gain.. iknow what it is, but why lose ppl when you talk all technical to them? I lose B everytime i bring up domestics, its like i'm speaking chinesse to him.

atleast 50% of amps all say gain. Calling it some big ass name is just showing off dick size. :lol:

Back