Timing issue. b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

autox19

So I have this lovely swap I have been working on FOREVER. we are now down to this. Timing we believe is off. We have lined up the cams with the proper arrows and checked it against the keyway on the cam. now on to the crank pulley after looking for what seemed like days, we finally found the little 3 marks and the TDC mark. when we lined it up to the belt cover it was pointed to about 11:00. here is where it gets interesting. we had ~ practically no compression. OK, going old fashioned. took the spark plug out of calender 1 and put a long screw driver in. Turning the crank counter clockwise we found TDC. the TDC pointer on the crank pulley was at 2:00.
I happen to have a second motor on a stand and when we used the old method, TDC had the pointer pointing to the right place. hmmmm (cant test compression on that engine because the head has no valve train) When we use the screwdriver TDC on the engine in the car, we get ~125 psi dry. (car still wont start, but that is a nother story.)

WTH. I originally though the key was broke, but fro what I read it wont just slip, it will go kablooey. if it spun more than 30 degrees I would think it would have bent valves, but the 125 psi keeps me thinking if it bent, I wouldnt get that high of readings. let alone consistent across cylinders. +/-2 psi

heeeelppppp!!

Odie
B16 Fiat X1/9

Hard to tell but I must ask if you tried to TDC bottom end and readjust the belt so cams are at 12:00?

yup yup. we TDC'd the bottom end by doing the screwdriver in the sparkplug hole trick. when it was at TDC, the single pointer on the crank pulley was at ~1 o'clock. We are pulling the crank pulley tonight.

Odie

cam gear mark should be at noon....right?

the adjustable cams are at 0 degrees, and the pointers are pointing towards each other (skunk2 gears this is what we found online that they should be pointed to) but if these are also supposed to be pointing straight up that could be the issue. the keyway on the cams are straight up

We yanked the crank pulley and found that the keyway is not in the same posisiotn as another B16 I have (got it to rebuild blown head gasket from another owner) I have a new pulley on its way. hopefully this will line up better.

I am trying to remember my old skunk cam gears. With bottom end at TDC, I believe the hash marks should point at one another (left at 3 o'clock and the right at 9 o'clock) and the dimples should be at noon.

Back