tire and wheel weight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chadcharb

VIP
how much of a difference does the weight of tires and wheels really affect power?

when I did the little lift and tires and wheels on the CR-V I didn't look at the weight of what I was using at all and now I am realizing that each tire and wheel weighs somewhere around 60lbs! It was gutless before but its even worse now and I'm getting tired of it. So I'm thinking about switching wheels and wondering if going from a 26lb wheel to an 18lb wheel will make that big of a diff?

24 pounds less that your engine has to move. Thats a good amount of weight. Some lighter tires could help also.

Those are heavy wheels.
My 20's don't weigh that much.

This is why it always baffles me when people put steelies on hondas. The shit is actually heavy. I wouldn't exactly trust the butt dyno though, it will make a little difference, but shouldnt' be noticeable.

yes wheel weight difference of 8 lbs a piece is a lot, and it will be noticeable on a vehicle with low power. unsprung weight homie!

I definitely noticed when I went from Ls webs to Hx wheels. So much easier pulling a tire off, went from something like 45 a wheel to 30 something.

Back