tranny is screwed up, which one to mate with my b18c1?

• Thread starter Thread starter VidfinnX
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VidfinnX

well i the good news is a fixed it, bad 80 amp battery fuse. The bad news is the transmission is fucked up :( the differential is blown i think, the tranny moves really smooth but it makes this horrible knocking sound when i drive sounds like a card in the bicycle spokes. What should i do? Need advice on other trannys that would be good to be paired with this motor

at least i think its the differential

Before replacing an expensive b series tranny make sure it is fucked up first. If you are going to replace rather then fix it, if thats the problem I recommend another gsr tranny or civic si tranny. The ls integra tranny will bolt up fine but the gear ratios are not good for all motor setups like you have.

ok well i opened up the tranny, the whole tranny is good cept, the output shaft is fucked up half its teeth are stripped off, and the big gear on the differential is missing teeth, thats the only visibly damaged thing i can see. So do i rebuild if so where can i get parts?

You might want to find out why your final drive and input shaft got chewed up. It could be from the diff getting destroyed. Check out this site where you can buy all the internal trans. parts you will need for your rebuild. Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura You will have to click on the different links to pull up the different transmission parts. All of the links start with MT so you know where to look.

first off, it's called a counter shaft, it's unfortunately a common thing in the gsr tranny for the countershaft to strip teeth against the differential ring gear, I have seen it a whole bunch of times. You have a couple options, you could get a type R final drive, it should come with the countershaft and it will shorten your whole gearbox ratio giving you quite a bit more acceleration, you can find type r final drives on ebay or the like.
OR you could get the original parts
My personal favorite for acura parts is majestic honda's partner site at Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland
The oem part numbers for the gsr tranny parts are:
23221-P21-020 countershaft
41233-P80-V00 gear, final driven
exploded diagrams can be found here:
Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland
Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland

well the tranny got fucked probably because the person who owned it raced the shit out of it before they gave this car to me for free. I got the car in non running condition so i am now diagnosing and fixing the problems, but shit for a free 2000 coupe with a gsr motor its worth the labor lol. So that diagnoses why the gears are screwed up it was owned by a rice boy racer before me. he fucked it up and didnt have the money/knowledge or time to fix it so he signed over the pink slip to me and im doin it now. Yeah i thought about putting a type-r final drive and LSD in it. Think it would be worth it? How will my gas mileage be with the type-r final drive? I do alot of city driving more than highway

your gas mileage will suffer only a little, but it is def worth it if you do a little racing.
Wish I could get a free 2000 coupe :(

sweet im going for the type-r final drive then, now about getting an lsd to go with it....

Instead of spending tons of money on a type r lsd or another expensive aftermarket unit i suggest getting the obx lsd. Its basically a replica of a type r lsd and i have never heard anything but good things about them. They cost around 350 on ebay brand new.

why dont you replace the drive shafts first to see if the noise are still there, if so , go with an LSD my man:eek:

Back