Turbo b20vtec smoking more...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
The basic setup is a sleeved b20vtec, pistons, rods, built head, Tial wg and bov, Fabwork mani, 3"dp, 3" straight out exhaust, 60mm master power turbo tuned to 11 psi on 93 octane on Neptune by a very reputable tuner.

The car has always smoked a little, but nothing worrying, just the normal little puff here and there that a turbo car will do. I have been driving it in the current state for a couple years now with no problems, but lately it has started to smoke more. After boosted pulls it always puffs a bunch of smoke that smells rich (smells more oily than gas). Smells a little richer at idle too (has no cat and barely a muffler). It doesnt seem to be consuming any noticeable amount of oil when i check it though.

Today i pulled the plugs and did a compression test. It was perfect... 188, 182, 185, 185 on my Snapon gauge, cold motor. The plugs were very black, not oily, more sooty...

Im going to put some new plugs in once i find my gapper :). I guess im looking for theories on why it has started smoking more? Think it was just the plugs fouling up over time? They are old, several thousand miles, and they are NGK non resistor cold plugs (what my tuner recommends). What im more worried about is thta maybe my turbo is the source of the smoke. There is some shaft play, but there always has been and it didnt used to smoke this much...

What kind of oil do you use? Do you have a turbo timer or something that you use to let the car idle after you park it? If not you might be baking the oil inside the turbo after hard runs which could build up in the turbo and cause it to leak oil out of the seals in the turbo. I would check and see if there is oil in the charge piping coming out of the turbo and in the downpipe coming out of the exhaust side of the turbo.

No turbo timer, and i am guilty of not letting it idle long after running it. its hot down here so i use 10w40 conventional oil, change it every 1000 miles. you are right i need to dig deeper to see if there is oil anywhere it shouldnt be.

Also you can have your tuner check your AF to make sure things haven't charged.Those plugs look like the car is running way too fat either at low rpm or under boost.Oil on the plugs is also a sign of a bad turbo seal or bad oil rings check the intake pipe too for oil.

Back