While ive been waiting

• Thread starter Thread starter uasfineasme
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 675

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uasfineasme

i have been just reading post waiting for any thing to pop up on e bay or here and every one talks so much crap about the d series.. im just wonding why.. and how come..

for normal driving they are great
somewhat quick (the SOHC VTEC ones at least)
good gas milage (i got 30 city and 40 highway with my D16Z6)

but the trannys tend to be rather weak... so they dont take well to being driven hard

now from a performance standpoint
D series engines DO HAVE potential... dont let anyone tell you they dont
BUT
its FAR easier to pull power out of a B series engine
you can get more power out of a B series engine
B series engines/trannys are generally stronger and take abuse better
you can tune a DOHC engine more presicely than you can a SOHC engine

thats just a few off the top of my head

basicly it comes down to:
what are your performance goals?
what do you plan to use the car for?

Originally posted by uasfineasme@Feb 7 2004, 12:30 AM
i have just been reading posts, waiting for anything to pop up on ebay or here, and every one talks so much crap about the d series.. im just wonding why.. and how come..

sorry, i had to mod your original post so i could understand it. like E said, theres nothing bad about the d series, you just cant get the same power out of a SOHC as you would a DOHC with the same mods. but they are cheaper and faily abundant, direct bolt ins on civics.

what i was wonding was am i better off getting a different motor or just sticking with the same one to drive around town. i always think about upgrading but i just dont want to spend alot of money. but what i have found is that its amost near impossable to find a good d16y8 motor am i better off just rebuilding it. its only a get around town car for my job.

and im sorry for posting in the wrong room im not here for trouble just advice.. (like dont post in the wrong room thanks)

Originally posted by uasfineasme@Feb 7 2004, 12:52 AM
what i was wonding was am i better off getting a different motor or just sticking with the same one to drive around town. i always think about upgrading but i just dont want to spend alot of money. but what i have found is that its amost near impossable to find a good d16y8 motor am i better off just rebuilding it. its only a get around town car for my job.

if you want a fun street car but question your engines life, get some better rings, possibly pistons and rods, maybe some work with the valves, and to a small turbo. it should be nice setup for a street car.

ef9 thanks , but the motor is blown thats why i said is it worth replacing. it blew with 166,000 miles on it bent 14 valves and cracked 2 pistons. but im married with 2 kids dont have a whole lot of money to spend but i want to do it right. with what ever i do.

you can try a JDM D15B VTEC. It makes 130hp, and since its JDM it should have fairly low miles. and if you get it from hmotorsonline.com it should be in really good shape (at least my b16 was). They want $435+$250 shipping. If your in SoCal you might be able to pick it up and save yourself 250.

hmotorsonline.com

and damn, how the hell did you bend 14 valves, ive heard of people bending a few, but 14!

Back