Windows 10

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

with my WMC, i could power the box on and off (not just sleep mode, actualy OFF).

tv controls via phone is not as nice as a real remote. you have to look at the phone to do anything (you can't "feel" the buttons on a touchscreen), it really takes away from the experience for me. it may "work" but to me, its a compromise, not a feature.

not really. i have the option to use my phone as a remote for the amazon fire stick. i tried it, it sucks. completely not intuitive. a real remote is worlds better to use. and again, can't turn the machine on from a powered off state.

at the end of the day, WMC was the best free HTPC setup. the interface was clean and it just worked. it ran cable card HD tuners and had expandability for storage. the netflix app was good too. while it didnt have a large user base, those who did use it, loved it. I was one of those users. I understand that they had to pull it because they didnt have a business reason to keep it, but it still sucks. Nothing adequetly fills that void for me, everything else is a compromise.

I just started getting the prompt for free Windows 10. Who else has done the upgrade, and have you had any issues? Any lost data, or strange crashes? Thoughts, opinions?

have it on my new laptop
so far it has been stable and i like it better than 8.1 that came on the laptop (even after turning off the metro tiles or whatever)
only funky thing that happened is my screen would resize when the external display went to sleep
had to go in to the registry and change the default display size
no longer an issue

havent really dug around too much in it but as a daily driver it feels familiar enough
i like it so far

Upgrade from 8.1 -> 10 on my Asus Zenbook was fairly seamless. I had to get the latest touchpad drivers, and reconfigure some minor power settings, but it was very close to "just works".

I decided to give it another try. It took about 8 attempts for a successful install. It's running pretty smooth but I've only had it about an hour. But the problems I had before have disappeared. So far so good

8 attempts? But you have that custom rig right? Most off the shelf machine will have no problem.

8 attempts? But you have that custom rig right? Most off the shelf machine will have no problem.

yeah and it kept downloading and then installing and then I would get the failed message on the windows update screen. I have been trying since yesterday. I uninstalled a bunch of shit, disconnected my printer and other USB devices and it went through finally...

I installed it on my dell optiplex htpc it just has a fanless Radeon card in it though for aftermarket. 10 even had better drivers than the ATI ones. 8gb ram 1tb HDD running 10 with KODI starting at boot.

Back