Windows Vista sucks balls.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
So, I ordered a pair of new computers for work, decent systems, core 2 duo, gig o ram, 256m video, blah blah. They came with windows vista.

Buggy. Nothing works as it should, file transfers over the network are poopy slow. 18 minutes for 11gigs of info. Windows 2000 pro did it in sub 2 minutes on 7 year old systems. Yes, I turned off all of the security and the firewall and tried it again. Still crappy slow.

Vista HATES access databases.

There are several things that cause programs to just lock up. You can reproduce the lockup as well, do the same thing, and make it do it again. Window's fix for this is auto restarting programs. It stops responding, grinds for about 45 seconds, then unlocks itself. Most of the time.

Xerox has no drivers for vista (for its older printers). This isnt microsoft's fault. But then again, windows will not accept an xp or win2k or win 98 driver for the damn thing. And you cant force drivers anymore.

You can no longer "Switch Identities" in outlook. Hell, there is no more outlook. You have to create a seperate user account on the computer for each email address, log out, and log back in under a different user to check different email addresses. Unless you want all of your emails in one big clusterfucked orgy together. I have several email addresses. Personal, Finance, Home, Business, Spam.. All seperate.

The new spam filter is nice, though.

IE runs much slower than it should.

Its bloody huge. 20+ gigs on a full install.

It asks permission to do every fucking thing on planet earth. Even with security alerts turned off, that cuts "permissions" down to about half, which means instead of getting 3 windows before letting you run an executable, it only gives you one or two. And it grays out everything else around the warning window. "Are you sure you want to execute this??" click yes. "Microsoft doesnt recognize this manufacturer! Are you sure" click yes again. "Executing this file may cause harm to your system" Click yes again..

I've been working in vista for a week now and its been nothing but bug after bug after bug.

I would highly recomend staying away from vista. Avoid it like the freakin plague for at least 2 years. Then, after 908608976 hotfixes and patches, perhaps it will be a good OS.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
are you running exchange? if so, your mail problems have always been liek that, as it uses the ntlogin on the machine for the user account permissions.

you can turn off user account control.

i still have had zero problems with vista :) running on year old hardware.

i dont notice any of the issues you have.

Microsoft Outlook is nonexistant in any windows base. you get the equivalent to outlook express called windows mail. you want outlook go buy an office license ;)

time to get a new printer if you have one that still uses 9x drivers.

I've always used outlook express, with pop 3. And user account control IS off. The network is peer to peer. and the printer is a copier that we use to print everything.. Its a giant all in one, basically. And it is still kicking, no need to replace it just yet.

If I was surfing the intardnet and checkin one email account I wouldnt see any of these issues either, but alas, we have a business to run, and that requires flexing a few of window's muscles. Which are very weak atm.

Back