Wireless connection upgrade?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

klyph

Dismember
VIP
Here's my situation. I'm in an apartment attached to a house with a wireless router. I have a wireless card in my desktop, but the connection is very unstable. It says it has an excellent signal strength, 54mbps, and surfing the web it does great.
My problem comes in when I play online multiplayer games (Battlefield2142) the connection randomly drops at the most inopportune times. It won't stay connected to a server for 1 round without disconnecting me.
Is there any way to make my wireless connection more stable?
Any ideas on any other solutions (I can't hook up a landline)
This is very frustrating.

is this your own wireless router , or ar you leeching off someone elses wireless device ?? if it's your own you can try and setup the proper ports on the router and forward them to your desktop, also set our ip address to a static address.

I guess I'm leaching, I can't access the router settings and I already have the IP set to static. That was the only way I could keep it connected longer than 10 seconds :confused:

Got anything else?

you can get range extender antennas for $30 by linksys at walmart.

worked great for me.

Here's something I was thinking about doing. This is my wireless card.
6304714_ra.jpg

Could I put a cable on the antenna and move it somewhere else? My comp is kinda tucked into a corner, and I think it's location isn't good. Is it a coax cable that the antenna screws onto?

Back