Yet another Prelude oil consumption inquiry.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
98 Prelude Base with 186,000 kilometers.

Since i have owned the car i have heard all about the oil usage/burning/disappearing of the H22, people having to dump oil in all the time. Well i have been keeping an eye on my oil like a hawk. I have heard many different people say the "normal" usage for an H22 is +/- a litre(quart) every 1000 km depending on driving habits and milage it could be none or even more. So i realize its a norm of H22 ownership.

The first 2000kms i put on it i didnt use a drop and the etest showed nice and clean and that it didnt seem to be burning any. Then all of a sudden the oil is below half, so i filled it back up and its steadily seemed to use oil every week, some days only a gulp. Also replaced PCV valve. Guy and Honda told me to put an engine cleaner in and see if maybe your oil control rings were gummed up. So i did and since then its been 600km with some heavy driving and it doesnt seem to be using any or atleast not much that i can notice. Also my buddy told me that a puff of blue will come out only on WOT for maybe a second, so nothing excessive there.

Now the dipstick seems to be misleading some days, one day its full, next its down a quarter, so ill top it up, next day its way above the full mark. Could oil be getting trapped somewhere? Is this normal?

Cause im starting to think that ive just been putting too much oil in it when it doesnt actually need it and its burning it off because its too full?

Ill be switching to 10w-30 in spring, see how that goes.

Last edited:
Basicly when have u been checking it... when ya 1st start your car I find it's not best to check the oil because over night it has settled at the bottom of the pan, vs running the car for 5mins it gives the oil pump time to do its thing and then check ya oil... least what I do with my H22, and I run 5-30 Full Syn in my engine!

I only check in when its been sitting for a few hours or overnight. The engine is completely cold when i check. You saying i should check when its warmer or have been running for a sec?

:popcorn:

subscribing. FWIW i check the oil cold, except when i do an oil change - then i run it for a while and then check it. (no prelude specific experience)

I always found that checking the oil level when the car is warmed up or recently running throws off the reading because all the oil hasnt dropped down yet, unless your running 0w-20 or something lol.

Speaking of 0w-20, the Accord Crosstour uses that.... isnt that kinda light for a bigger engine, i realize it helps efficiency but damn lol. My GF's mom just bought one thats why im mentioning it.

Last edited:
Back