'04 Suburu Sti

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by [spoon
,May 27 2003, 01:04 PM] Car and Driver results for EVO vs STi.

EVO
0-60 5.0
0-100 13.5
0-130 28.5
1/4 13.6@101
Top speed 156 redline limited

STi
0-60 4.6
0-100 12.4
0-130 24.5
1/4 13.2@103
top speed 145 governed

their curb weights are identical (3260) the EVO is the 2.0L running at 19.5lbs of boost. the STi is a 2.5L running 14.5 boost.

Road and Track had the EVO in their speed test they also had a drive owith the STi and got imilar numbers for it, but there was some large deviance in the EVO results. The were at Ford's Arizona Proving Ground and the EVO posted 0-60 in 4.59 (to do this required "A dizzying 5000-rpm launch with a gentle feathering of the clutch) the quarter mile was done in 13.08@105.12. the 0-100-0 was done in 16.56 and 0-100 was accomplished in 12.45. from 100 it took 292 ft to stop. (tied for third in the test.. tied Z06, Viper SRT10 and Mosler MT900 Photon beat it.) top speed was of course governed again.

Mototrend reports the following, just to add another dimension:

Sti (2004):

0-60: 4.87
1/4 Mile: 13.23 @ 104.6
60-0: 111 ft
Slalom(The most important part!): 69.1 mph

Evo (2003):

0-60: 4.59
1/4 Mile: 13.08 @ 105.1
Braking: 106 ft.
Slalom: 71.4

They attribute the weak numbers in the Sti to it being right off the assembly line. I might trust car and drivers test numbers a bit better in that case, however apparently MT is paying some better drivers, if you compare the two evo times. MT also has the Sti on sale in June 2003. So assuming the original post is recent (Im to lazy to check if there are dates on these things) its entirely possible. One reason to stay away from the evo is from what I understand the trannies are weak. They break under stock power. The suburu's hotter looking anyway.

With that, I believe the speed test your quoting was in MT, not road and track. Wel okay, I dont believe, Im looking at it right now.

Halcyon

the sti's came out already...i have seen 3 of them...and i know they were sti's because the only "outstanding" thing on the car was the pink sti badge and they had the new style headlights...i live in hawaii, and we get everything after everybody else, so i know you people up in the mainland MUST have them...

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 19 2003, 04:31 PM
Is there an '04 WRX and an '04 STI? Or is it just an STI?

as of right now, the STI is the only version of the WRX available for 2004. I assume there will still be the regular Impreza sedans and wagons (non-WRX). STI actually stands for Subaru Tecnica International. its subaru's equivalent to Nismo or TRD (toyota racing development). WRX is supposed to mean world rally edition.

the sti definitely is currently being released, and there is a base version WRX still available.

Originally posted by 2fastCRX@Jun 16 2003, 10:39 AM
I am pretty sure the STi is not out yet.

the sti has been out for only a few weeks (since last month). i eat lunch across from a subaru dealer and there is an sti parked right out front (drool!).

i went and visited the sti at the place across from where i eat lunch. the sales guy said the windows are made of thinner glass for weight reduction and that it comes with a full STR suspension! it also comes with racing seats (no harnesses). turns out that particular sti belongs to the dealer owner's son. there is currently a waiting list til next spring! that dealer is the #1 wrx dealer in the nation and they are getting 10 sti's delivered each month! it sure is a tite car. but they could have used a different color for the sti badges. hot pink is kinda :ghey:

HEY SOHCSLAMMER. YOUR IN SD? When the fuck are they racing at Qualcomm????? I Always look and there is always a stupid baseball game going on. i want to mess arond in my crx and time it before i swap the motor.

They are out now. I passed silver one on the highway and today a blue one passed me on a secondary road. They had two of them at my local dealer.

damn. ive yet to see one on the road. is it me or do they look like sleepers??? IMO, if it wasnt for the big scoop on the hood, it would just look like a family sedan with cool wheels.

there was one at last weekends autoX

they dont impress me, he did horrible.... about 6 secs slower than the evo that was there

Last sunday i was at the IDRC Summer Slam and wadda u know we parked next to an STi. i have no idea if they're even out yet but it was definitely an STi.it had the new headlights,taillights,wing,and that ridiculously large hood scoop. maybe they just couldnt wait a month and payed out the A$$ to have that thing shipped :shrug2: not mentioning just the cost of the thing :blink: i dont know

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Jul 4 2003, 03:21 AM
damn. ive yet to see one on the road. is it me or do they look like sleepers??? IMO, if it wasnt for the big scoop on the hood, it would just look like a family sedan with cool wheels.

There are some key differences. I'll post pics later tonight... one of my good friends just picked his up at the dealership in Austin yesterday. Pop the hood and yup- opportunities for easy improvement already. It's NICE.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 9 2003, 10:52 PM-->
rixXxceboy
@Jul 4 2003, 03:21 AM

There are some key differences. I'll post pics later tonight... one of my good friends just picked his up at the dealership in Austin yesterday. Pop the hood and yup- opportunities for easy improvement already. It's NICE.

oh yea, ive seen one up close at a dealership. but none driving around yet. i was just saying that the design looks like a family sedan.

i got these pics of one this past weekend :D
s3f1660441ab55.jpg

s3f1660f606343.jpg

Originally posted by preluderjs@Apr 19 2003, 04:51 PM
You didnt see the muscle car that was running 6's? Qualcomm right?

muscle cars running 6s are fast but the really fast guys are the street cars that pull high fives in the 1/8 (equal to low 9s and high 8s in the 1/4). generally speaking, the fellas in that range are driving big block camaros or fox bodies.

btw, i love the STi.

I've seen hella STi's all over the place, even before a month ago. I don't really like them. Subarus IMO are pretty ugly. I'd rather take a EVO, both four door sedans but at least the EVO has better features like front mount intercooler and other crap.

You guys oughta see the one in town... well, the driver's wife anyway. ;)

She's nice....

here's a pic.

sti1.jpg

Back