08 Civic SI 3rd gear pop out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's kinda bad on your synchro's if you do that. But you would have to do it alot before they wore out. And if you are good enough to rev your engine to match the RPM that it will be it wont hurt anything at all. You might not even have to press the clutch in. Have you ever tried to float through your gears?

No i have never tried that.

But going back to the 3rd gear issue. has anybody heard of anything working to fix that? it seems like most of the time its just when its cold and it'll do it at other times but thats usually after people have had the issue for a while which i believe is after they already messed up their transmission. im wondering if some aftermarket transmission fluid that works well under all temperatures can prevent this from happening in the first place. anybody have any comments on this?

3rd Gear problem

I have the same issue with my 07 Civic SI. It does not pop out of 3rd gear like on some peoples 07 SIs. Sometimes it does not want to go into 3rd gear without me having to push it in hard. What I have to do now is drive with the 3rd gear issue in the back of my mind. I don't even think about it anymore and when I shift into 3rd gear I can feel right away if Im going to have to use a bit more force to push the knob into 3rd gear.
After seeing that so many people here have the same issue I called my car dealer today and they told me they had no idea what I was talking about. The service rep guy game me a Honda Hotline number to call, which I'm going to do firts thing on Monday. People are saying that Honda has a "fix it kit" for this problem. We will see!
I think a lot of people have the same problem but dont think it's a big deal untill they grind their gears away. I also think Honda must be keeping their mouths shut in hopes people don't realize what a big problem this could be. This could shorten people's trany life and cost them a lot in repairs. If the transmission fails after the warranty period people will pay out of their pokets for something that should have been fixed by Honda. If there is a problem, Honda should fess up and tell everybody of the problem and what to do about it.

afg
PS: You guys can email me if you have more info afgsb@netzero.net

i work at honda and spoke to couple of other techs at different dealerships and they said that the synchro's are basically the problem so just take it in, more then likely warranty will cover it but if you do abuse your car just make sure that there aren't any signs of abuse such as burnt rubber on your mudguard and that if you change the fluid you'll get smoother shifting. not sure why, im guessing old fluid not to sure but i've had some case's where customers complain bout hard to go into 1st or 2nd and i change the fluid and it seems to fix the problem

I really wish Honda would just fix the damn problem. It's such a great car for the price and to ruin it because of the transmission? its not worth it. Yes it will cost them a lot of money to fix it but it will be better for them in the long run. and if they dont want to do a recall at least fix it on the newer ones coming out. I really dont think they're going to do anything about it. They didn't do anything with the Acuras so why would they now? Its a shame.

bad 3rd gear

My 2009 with 400 miles has had this problem. Honda states the TSB is only for 2006-2008 and that mine has an updated 3rd gear.... BS I have had it pop out of 3rd 5 times so far. The problem is not solved as Honda states. Has anyone else had this problem with an 09.

i dont work for Honda, or own a 06-09 si, but how we do warranty in our dealer is a case by case situation, a TSB is honda stating they know of the common problem, and contains all info to resolve it to the best of there abilities at this time. they dont have to recall anything unless it is a safety issue. if you take it into a honda dealer and have them drive it, or better yet, go on a drive with there tech and show them the problem they should/will fix it for you. if they say they cant do anything about your "problems with your new car" go to there service manager and ask him why they cant fix your car, i promise things will fall in line nicely. (p.s. being an ass in a dealer will not help) be calm and easy to deal with yet stern that you know there is a problem with your car. my guess (not seeing the TSB) is that they will probly repalce 3rd gear/ hub , syncros, and shift fork. atleast thats what I have done on most "grinding/poping issues". good luck. I would be extremely frustrated. also just a FYI if you have a documented R.O. at a dealer before your warranty ends(with the same problem) they should cover it after you warranty expires (within reason) atleast we do... hope they fix it...

ok, i looked up the TSB on my dealer sight.. here it is for you..

08-020
July 18, 2008
Applies To:
See VEHICLES AFFECTED
Transmission Grinds When Shifting Into 3rd Gear, Pops Out of 3rd Gear, or Is Hard to Shift Into 3rd Gear

SYMPTOM
The 6-speed manual transmission grinds when shifting into 3rd gear, pops out of 3rd gear, or is hard to shift into 3rd gear.
NOTE :These symptoms can be intermittent and sometimes more noticeable in colder climates.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The transmission has a faulty 3rd gear synchronizer or 3-4 shift sleeve.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the 3rd gear set.

VEHICLES AFFECTED

PARTS INFORMATION
Additional Hardware

NOTE : The following parts must be replaced when replacing the third gear set. Refer to the related service
manual procedures for the locations of these parts.

REQUIRED MATERIALS
Honda Genuine M/T Fluid:p/N 08798-9031, H/C 8429094
Accord: 2.6 qt. required
Civic: 1.8 qt. required

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
DIAGNOSIS
Drive a known-good vehicle under the same conditions as the customer's complaint, and
compare the shift quality. If the customer's vehicle has noticeable shift quality problems,
replace the 3rd gear set.

NOTE : It is not uncommon for there to be some resistance or notchiness when shifting
into third gear.

i lot of people "hear" about it. have you talked to anybody in person that was denied? if it's posted on a forum somewhere, the dealer probably told the to go away and they did. probably just stupid people getting rejected by a dealer and not keeping up with it. it makes sense to say to the dealer, "hey, i hear you guys don't cover XXX problem". and see what they say.

it's not really that heard to get details. i guess it just makes sense to me to ask a million questions before i invest thousands of dollars.
I own an 07 4dr Civic Si and it has that problem. 2nd grinds, 3rd grinds and pops out, 4th grinds and reverse grinds as well. These new Sis have pretty shitty gearboxes. I just dropped my car @ ourisman honda here in Bethesda, MD to get my brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced. I also told them about the problem with the gearbox and they said that they will have to keep the car for couple of days till they figure out the problem. I think honda should go ahead and do a recall instead of replacing shitty gearboxes with shitty ones. (you can check all this on 8thcivic.com)

i lot of people "hear" about it. have you talked to anybody in person that was denied? if it's posted on a forum somewhere, the dealer probably told the to go away and they did. probably just stupid people getting rejected by a dealer and not keeping up with it. it makes sense to say to the dealer, "hey, i hear you guys don't cover XXX problem". and see what they say.

it's not really that heard to get details. i guess it just makes sense to me to ask a million questions before i invest thousands of dollars.
I own an 07 4dr Civic Si and it has that problem. 2nd grinds, 3rd grinds and pops out, 4th grinds and reverse grinds as well. These new Sis have pretty shitty gearboxes. I just dropped my car @ ourisman honda here in Bethesda, MD to get my brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced. I also told them about the problem with the gearbox and they said that they will have to keep the car for couple of days till they figure out the problem. I think honda should go ahead and do a recall instead of replacing shitty gearboxes with shitty ones. (you can check all this on 8thcivic.com)

haha. i didn't realize there were even 8 generations of civic!

Back