1988 2.0S Swap Possibilities

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prelude88

Hey all!

Finally able to find a decent site about Honda engine swaps.

I'm new to this, and I'm actually taking apprentice courses for mechanics as of Monday, so bear with me as I'm sure I'll be a noobie for the first little while here.

My ride = 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0S
Carburated Engine (blah)

My question:

What is the best possible engine swap for this model? (JDM?)

Are there JDM motors that can be swapped directly into this Chassis without any fabrication?

Also, because it is a carburated engine, will I need a new Ignition, radiator, dash and steering column?

I know, noob questions, but every little bit helps, and on Monday I'll be well on my way to know how to do this.

Thanks for any help

:worthy:

First off you don't need to swap some of those components. Search for a DPFI to MPFI conversion this has been covered many times. This is the first step needs in ANY swap you do. I don't not believe there are any direct bolt in swaps; you will need to purchase a motor mount kit, afterwards would could swap just about any engine your Honda heart desires.

Alright.

So I think I have this right, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My prelude, being a third Gen, is an OBD0.

To convert it to say an H22A motor, I would need a Mounting kit to mount the motor and a wiring harness to be able to connect the OBD1 engine to my OBD0 Prelude?

Ok, so after further researching this on the forums here, I found a chart listing all the Honda Engine codes.

Because my Prelude is an 1988, it is a OBD0 Engine.

The B16A (SiR) according to that engine chart is also a OBD0 Engine. I'm assuming that swapping this motor in would be significantly easier than doing say an H22A.

So, assuming I choose to go with the B16A engine, what am I going to need to do this swap?

http://www.jdmsource.ca/honda/b16a1.html

Engine
Transmission
ECU
Alternator
Air Conditioning
Power Steering Pump
Distributor
Wiring Harness

That is what is included with the purchase of the motor, is this all I need for the swap?

Again, I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0S

Thanks for your input

I am not very knowledge in 1988 Prelude, but what I can tell you is this:

- This is the only (best) site to use to get engines from, call them
- Your car is indeed obd0 that doesn't mean you have to keep it that way.
- There is a lot of wiring involved with your car.
- Even an obd0 b16 requires the dpfi to mpfi conversion (tons of wiring)

You are learning keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 3 2005, 06:32 PM
I am not very knowledge in 1988 Prelude, but what I can tell you is this:

- This is the only (best) site to use to get engines from, call them
- Your car is indeed obd0 that doesn't mean you have to keep it that way.
- There is a lot of wiring involved with your car.
- Even an obd0 b16 requires the dpfi to mpfi conversion (tons of wiring)

You are learning keep up the good work :thumbsup:
[post=456103]Quoted post[/post]​

Gotcha. Thanks for your help. Starting to pick on some stuff, this site is great.

Thanks again for the help.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 3 2005, 04:17 PM
First off you don't need to swap some of those components. Search for a DPFI to MPFI conversion this has been covered many times. This is the first step needs in ANY swap you do. I don't not believe there are any direct bolt in swaps; you will need to purchase a motor mount kit, afterwards would could swap just about any engine your Honda heart desires.
[post=455960]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmm, he jsut said that its carbeurated. carbuerated cars present a few more steps to a swap. first off you will need a new gas tank. that is, unless you want to swap in a newer B series and keep it carbed. but yea the FI systems ae pressurized, and Carbed fuel systems aren't. I did a quick search and this is a thread that showed up kind of like yours.

click here

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 6 2005, 01:58 PM
Here is another great link for a write on carb to fuel injection.

Walkthrough
[post=457120]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude just stop posting.
that shit is dpfi to mpfi...
Do you even know what that means?

Dual
Point
Fuel
Injection

Multi
Point
Fuel
Injection

Notice how both of those systems say fuel injection?
Dual point does not mean carb.
BUmp for the main poster.

Originally posted by driverunknown+Feb 6 2005, 02:51 PM-->
projectxspeed
@Feb 6 2005, 01:58 PM

Walkthrough

Dude just stop posting.

Dual
Point
Fuel
Injection

Multi
Point
Fuel
Injection

[post=457134]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :whatafucktard:

you'll need to convert the fuel system to handle fuel injection- then you'll have to tackle wiring- IMO swapping a b16 in would be retarded and i'm not sure there are even mount kits for b series into the prelude. You're best route of action would probably be to swap in a B20A5 or B21 from the same year preludes- You get fuel injection and some companies actually make parts for these motors- If you look you'll be able to find pistons, rods and there used to be turbo setups for the car, although from what I know he isn't making them anymore- But that doesn't mean you can't make you're own custom setup and make gobs more power than you would make on an other b series swap-

also, when swapping anything other than the b motors from those generation preludes you'll fight mount issues, possible cable to solid linkage shifter conversion (if swapping to any other B series motor)

Originally posted by driverunknown+Feb 6 2005, 01:51 PM-->
projectxspeed
@Feb 6 2005, 01:58 PM

Walkthrough

Dude just stop posting.

Dual
Point
Fuel
Injection

Multi
Point
Fuel
Injection

[post=457134]Quoted post[/post]​

I was wondering about that.... because as far as I know, there was never a DPFI B series engine. I don't know much about the old Preludes though (plus I missed the carburetion comment), so I just kept my mouth shut. I don't like to spew misinformation when I'm not sure about something. Maybe you should do the same.

Hey all.

Thanks for the bump, I've been busy working on the body stuff and just got a chance to come back and see what else is here.

So from what I see, maybe trying this whole JDM thing might be a bad idea?

Maybe just use this as a car to learn from and maybe try and find another prelude that came as fuel injected?

I really wouldn't mind at all. I love my car now, and would love to use this, but as a starter, maybe just use it as a stepping stool and go from there with a newer lude?

Back