1989 Crx Hf To A Zc Dohc Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

freedomfighter000

Ok I am REALLY considering getting a DOHC ZC for my CRX but I have some questions, ok It's a cheap engine compared to a b16a and bolts right into a 1989 crx hf right? And will anything that fits a 1989 CRX Si fit a ZC since it is a JDM si engine? Do you guys think I should go with the swap? I have connections through garages so installation price is low, I will have about $1,800 to spend on my car from my summer job, probably $2,000, I am aiming for a sleeper look for a while, Thanks.

yeah you can do the zc and have a cash left over for some good bolt ons... but if i were you i would save 2500 bucks and just get a first gen b16, the only hang up i see you having is that you are going to need to change your front hubs to except bseries axels.... if you go with the ZC and use the ZC tranny you will also need to change your hubs, or you could use your hf tranny on the ZC and use your stock axels...

Yeah I don't have $2500 though, I wish I did :D anyways, figure this with me please, if I added Cold Air Intake, Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold, Exhaust, Cam Gears on the ZC around how much horse power would I have? stock ZC is like 130hp, so do you have any idea of Horse Power?

the question is will you have enough money to buy all those goodies? keep in mind the ZC engines are used so figure how much your gonna spend to change gaskets seals water pump belts and etc etc etc... If your gonna do the labor yourself thats more money in your pocket. So ggod luck to you! :p

Whaaaa!? Man I have read several guides and all saying that the engine swaps right into a crx, with the replacement of like 2 distributor wires, i'm not calling you a liar or anything, so can you explain like what I need for the swap please? Oh and do I have to get a muffler like the stock crx has I mean since i want to keep it a sleeper look, a muffler that looks like the stock crx muffler, what are they called? And if i can get another type of muffler is there a special midpipe i need or something? :ph34r:

This is not complicated, first of all, you need to Change the TPS outer wires around, then you will need to add 2 wires to the TDC sensor, which is NOT in the distributor like on the LS(it helps to have the ZC harness). I am in class so I dont have the pin #'s you need to change on the ECU, but I can post them later. oh yeah and RESEARCH, I cant stress this enough, and no I am not talking about asking a bunch of people on a message board, actually research this swap!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by freedomfighter000@Jun 19 2003, 01:28 AM
Whaaaa!? Man I have read several guides and all saying that the engine swaps right into a crx, with the replacement of like 2 distributor wires, i'm not calling you a liar or anything, so can you explain like what I need for the swap please?

Masseyracer explained it perfect, if you use your tranny that is in your car now, you can keep your hubs, if you use the ZC tranny you have to change your hubs. The HF, unlike the other CRX's and Civic's uses a really thin axle, that is smaller and has less splines than the others. So in order to put the ZC into your car, you have to use the stock HF tranny and axles, or the new motors tranny, axles, and hubs.

The only thing I am puzzled with on this swap is the vaccum cluster sensors. Can you wire both cutoff solenoids together? the stock DX cluster only has one solenoid and the Integra's has 2

I have no clue about that, but please answer this, what is the style or type of muffler the crx comes stock with? If I have the stock back bumper then that means that I have to get the stock style of the muffler right, but it can be performance? what is that called?

i did the zc swap in my si about a year ago. ran into a few problems, but with everything on the net i was able to have it complete is a saturday and sunday. since then ive helped a friend put a b16 in his rex, that was a little more tricky, and knowing what i do now, i think the zc swap could be done in a matter of hours. oh yah and dont use your hf tranny dude. gearing sucks ass. get an si or even a dx is pretty decent, regardless of what everyone says about it.

Thanks, yeah I will get a new tranny then, somebody please answer my question about mufflers for a crx and the piping and all, i mean you guys know how it bends and everything, is there a good performance muffler that has the same style as the stock crx muffler, or can i get something like a 5Zigen fireball and put it on there?

The exhaust you are looking for is probably catback, but it will still be loud. the stock crx exhaust is very restrictive and will defeat the purpose of doing a swap, so the closest thing to stock is going to be a catback setup which isnt cheap.

no no no no no, i know the stock exhaust is resrtictive, i am talking about the style the stock exhaust is, i have seen aftermarket exhaust like the stock style. What I am talking about is the exhaust that "LOOKS" like the stock exhaust, but is performance, what is it called?

Originally posted by freedomfighter000@Jun 21 2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks, yeah I will get a new tranny then, somebody please answer my question about mufflers for a crx and the piping and all, i mean you guys know how it bends and everything, is there a good performance muffler that has the same style as the stock crx muffler, or can i get something like a 5Zigen fireball and put it on there?

If you're getting the new tranny, be sure to get the right hubs too. And the CRX exhaust there are a few here to check out.

Back