1994 LX sedan, bad head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sailor77

Here is my dilemma- car is stock, 5spd manual. I am looking for MPG not 1/4 times. I have a leaking valve, so the head is coming off. This should be the 102hp version. Is there any head I can put on in place to get realitively same MPG or better while keeping the HP same or better? Is it worth going to a SOHC VTEC? Should I just have my head redone and put it back together? Thanks

i was getting 40+ on the highway with the D16Z6 in my sol before i swapped it
all i did was remove the resonator and put in a K&N drop in filter

i would assume similar numbers would be achievable with a sedan

This is what I have:
92-95 Civic DX
92-95 Civic LXD15B7
  • 1493cc
  • 4 cyl, 16 valve
  • SOHC
  • 9.2:1 c.r.
  • PGM-FI (MPFI)

Will this bolt it:
96+ Civic CX
96+ Civic DX
96+ Civic LXD15B
  • 1493cc
  • 4 cyl, 16 valve
  • SOHC
  • 9.4:1 c.r.
  • PGM-FI (MPFI)

Yes it will bolt in, but you have an obd1 car so putting in an obd2 d15 in is not worth the extra time and money to convert it over. You can easily get a d16z6 (sohc vtec) and ecu for 300-500 dollars and its a direct bolt in. They run good and still retain great gas mileage if you can keep your foot out of it lol. Big noticeable difference over the d15 which I believe is anywhere from 70 to 80 horse compared to the roughly 130 horse z6. I had a 92 si factory z6 car with full exhaust and cai and still got 35 mpg city and 40+ highway and was extremely fun to drive.

My LX is rated at 102HP, it's the better of the D15B7's. Isnt the Vtec only good for over xxx RPM's? I am not going to drive my car like I stole it, driving for MPG. Although it does freak me out that my motorcycle has a larger engine :)

Would I need the wiring harness, intake, exhaust, head and ECU to swap to the D16z6 (if I can find one)? This is also a low buget build. For less thatn $200 I can have the current head redone and be back on the road. So unless I can keep the MPG and add power, I dont see the benefit of going to VTEC, that will rarely be taken advantage of. Right?

Back