2 Cars or sale, my Celica and my MR2 SC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Hey folks,

I figure I'll start putting out the word. I'm selling my two prizes so I can move on to other things. Like buying a house.

First off, my baby:

It's a 1981 Celica GTA. Yeah yeah, it's old. But check it, clown - I'm an AVID old-school toyota guy, and I've owned 14 Celicas of this generation. This particular car is a GTA - That's Tenth Anniversary for you not in the know. A little history of the GTA:

The last 2000 Celicas of the second generation were rolled off the line in Japan as Rally Sports. These were DOHC, turbo cars with the W58 short ratio gearing. That's a lotta balls right there. That's the kind of tech that America wouldn't see for another 4 years. And when it got to the US shores, they found out why. The DOHC had no hopes of passing Federal emissions, much less California so the motors had to be ditched.. At the shores. The US replacement is a completely different motor and wouldn't bolt to the W58 (The trans was in too far on the trans mounts) so they had to shaft us on the trans as well, and drop in the Supra's 4AOD transmission. That's right, this Celica is an automatic.
Since they had really nice, one-off bodies with lots of JDM specialties, and instantly lost money on the shipment, they had to sell them to round-eye as quickly as possible. So instead of the sports-group market they catered to in Japan, they now catered to the Luxury group in America.
And everyone knows much Americans wanting luxury turned to Toyota in the early 80s. Hah.

So 800 of these were sold in the US. Typical to US sales numbers, only the coastlines got the cars. 400 for the Right coast, and 400 for the Wrong coast. 200 of each were equipped with power sunroofs. This is not one of those cars.

Features:
It's an auto, but it's a 4 speed auto. Celicas didn't come with 4 speed autos in that generation, and none came carbbed. So the vacuum kick-down had to be taken from the Supra's carb (Jetted down to the decreased displacement). So it's rare.
The wheels were premium wheels offered by the Cressida. Those have been ditched (5 inches? ) for the new Supra rims (7.5 inches, better)
The interior isn't from the Celica. Well, ok it is - But it's from the Celica Supra. The center console, seats and steering column were taken from a parts shelf not seen until later year 1983 Supras. The seats are prototypical, and not seen again until the 1984 Supra.
The dash board is leather. Not plastic. This is a one-off thing that I have never seen again. The steering wheel is leather wrapped, and the armrest is leather (Although a bit sueded now)
Tilt steering, power windows, Cruise control, 3-piece stereo, 4 spd auto, LSD rear and color-coordinated body panels are something NEVER seen in a second gen Celica. Ever. No, it's never happened outside of the GTA. You may think the power windows were taken from a Supra, but that's not true either. Supra doors are different.
The grille is JDM. The foglights are JDM (Courtesy Airjockie). It's an LSD rear, which was only seen in the Supra Sports in 1982+

Now, what I have done:
The exhaust was replaced with an ANSA 2.5" to the tip. It's nice, and it actually kinda produces a smooth tone.
Tires are pretty damned new Cooper Cobras, raised white lettering.
The transmission has been rebuilt, and all numbers match. It has a shift kit, and the planetaries were balanced at UCONN Storrs. The housing was resurfaced and the bands are poly. It shifts like a lexus.

The problems:
The speedo stopped working this summer. The choke doesn't work (Which is the last straw) and you can't fix the choke either (Remember that rare, one-off carb?) so winter driving is right out. It's a japanese car, and while I've done a very good job of fighting off the rust - I can't keep up with it all owning 6 cars. I have the mudflaps (Color coordinated, very rare) and the trim (Yeah, it all fell off). The rear bumper was redone in 1996 - Which is about 10,000 miles ago. There is a hole in the rear inner fender well, which isn't structural. The springs are getting soft, and the brakes need to be bled... monthly, even though the master cylinder is pretty damned new (Remember, 3 years ago means about 3000 miles). The driver's seat is ripped, but the rest of the interior is perfect. The rear sides are peeled from their glue - Which is the case with all of these Celicas.

The body is a faded dark red, with a gold layer underneath. Gold was a symbol of wealth in 1981 - Just watch James Bond. There are 3 dents on the car, all of them were put there by flesh (A head slammed here, a hand while pushing it out of a snow drift there, and a hand from falling into the opposite fender)

Why I am selling it: I have owned this car for 6 years. I know 2nd gen Celicas in my sleep. I want this to be a mint condition daily driver - But I've wanted that for at least 3 years now. I simply have too many cars. I have to pay for storage, pay for insurance, and it robs my life. I should own a house by now, but instead I do nothing but ... Hold onto... Cars. So it's time this car goes on. My plans were to swap a 5 speed into it (very easy) and and use the Holley 390 4Barrel carb (Remember, I have to swap transmissions to fix the carb problem). The carb and intake manifold (Holley + Offenhauser.. yummy) costs $800 new and will bring this up to 180 hp, and over 220 lbs/ft of torque. And it's got an LSD, dammit. Swap in some Supra seats and you're off and running. $1400 mechanical, and about $1000 in body and paint.

$2400 I should be investing in a house.

So here it is: A 1 of 800 made, Celica 10th Anniversary Edition GTA. Bon Appetit:

aae.thumb.jpg
aaf.thumb.jpg
aar.thumb.jpg
aaw.thumb.jpg
aba.thumb.jpg

Complete Gallery can be seen here

I am asking $2000, and I'm pretty firm. It has 130,000 miles on it, and a clean title. This car, after body work, is worth $8000 according to Toyota of California and Christie's auction house, and Christies while not knowing much about Japanese cars, gave that figure on it's production figures alone.

-> Steve

Now, onto Car #2.

This is a 1989 MR2 Supercharged. My girlfriend is the second owner of the car, and since 1997 she has put 30,000 miles on it.

It's black on black, evil as hell and a real handful for the amateur driver (Ever seen an AW11 drift ?)

This car is a 1989 - And something about 1989 is that it was a year meant to do two things: Sell the remaining orders of 1988s and produce, for the world the final yamaha-blocked Supercharged models. About 1000 Superchargeds were made this year, and the biggest way to tell if it's one of the rare, Yamaha 7 girdle blocked Blacktops is the LED third taillight. The more common 1988s had an incandescent third taillight, and most were in automatic (Due to the nature of Import car warranties and regulations, to order a 5 speed meant giving up a lot of the warrantee). There are quite a few differences in the 89's over the 88's. Also, when the 1990 MR2s were cancelled, the SC filled a niche and made people drool quite a bit. This is a car that can keep up with the big boys - And if you thought taking on Mustangs and Camaros was cool, wait till you see the face of the owner of a Ferrari 330M on Colorado's 25 northbound to Denver at 130 mph gives you.

It's loaded. Power windows, locks, cruise, t-tops and A/C. Now, here is why I am selling IT.

Like the Celica the MR2 is a worthy car of being pampered. But I have too many pampering cars, and certainly not enough room / money to do it. We've enjoyed the car for 6 years now, and the cost of storage as well as year-round insurance and routine maintanance has run me up to and beyond $8000 for a car that gets about that many miles on it every year. This car always has a roof over it in inclimate weather. It's been female owned, never beat on and maintained really well. There are only a handful of things the car needs:

I put a ding on it this month with a shelf that fell off the wall in the garage. While I was down there, I found a rust patch about 2"x4" on the rear quarter. That's it's only rust. I went crazy and searched it over with a fine tooth comb for more rust, and didn't find any. Lucky, because I really hit the roof that night. There is a small dent in both the front fenders from her parking lot at work a few years (She since doesn't bring it to work "The people are simply too stupid to see it") The front poly bumper skin has warped from something. It's lifted slightly above the headlight. The windshield is scratched from the wiper blade, and replacing it will cure the rust that is startign at the top of the windshield (If you talk to me now, I'll have it repaired and replaced professionally while it's insured). The black paint could stand a sprucing up. And the biggest problem of all:

The car is inline for it's second timing belt. Now, if anyone has AW11 SC experience, you know that doing this involves removing the engine from the bay. Talk about a pain in the arse. If you want to sink a little more money into it, I'll do the repair, as well as replacing the rest of the seals and doing a head tune on it. I would do this before a sale normally, but I'm not sure how this is going to sell. I'm already into both of these cars BIG, and I'm selling them so I can buy a house.

The MR2 comes with new body panels, trunk lid, wing (1988 style, sorry) fenders, doors and interior bits. The interior on the MR2 is mint, except the missing ashtray cover. Everything works on this car. The tires have about 4000 miles on them, Yokohama AVS (Yeah, remember, 4000 miles means about 4 years ago). It also comes with a genuine JDM Cusco exhaust manifold.

aaa.thumb.jpg
aab.thumb.jpg
aad.thumb.jpg
aah.thumb.jpg

More pics can be seen here

Asking price is $2500, again I'm pretty firm. Unless I'm really impressed with you as a loving person.

-> Steve

Finally, I live in Connecticut and I can deliver either of the cars within 100 miles. That's around about eastern NY, all of Rhode Island and most of Assachussetts. Give me a reason to go to southern New Hampshire and I'll do that too.

Both cars are insured now and available for a test drive. They aren't beaters, and I'm very hesitant to sell them before I'm done restoring them. It disheartens me to do this.

A for sale ad AND a history lesson! :thumbsup:

I really wish there were some way I could give that MR2 a good home, but unfortunately, OR is on the other side of the country.

OR__________________Not a whole lot here in the middle_____________________CT

I'll vouch for these cars...they are good cars...I'd grab the MR2....but I have enough cars already.... :)

And they are worth the car transport to other states.... :)

I would be...but I don't have the funds for it now...

and BTW...I have to move your Celica out of the way tommorrow, so I can get the AE86 to it's new owner... :)

Come up and start it... :p

Mail responded. And so everyone knows - I have the car at my house now, and giving it a good dusting / cleaning. If you want any specific pictures, let me know.

damn love mr2 i have wned 2 of them and just love em wish i had the cash i would be on a plane :)
good luck selling
love the supercharged ones
had a na86
and a supercharged 89
wish i would not have sold the 89
but damn if i dont love hondas to much
:worthy:

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Jan 30 2005, 04:51 PM
........and a supercharged 89
wish i would not have sold the 89
but damn if i dont love hondas to much
:worthy:.........
[post=453496]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the encouraging words.

For an NA, I prefer the CRX over the MR2 anyday.. but the SC eats Hondas for breakfast. Don't care what's under the hood.

-> Steve

damn... the mr2 is really tempting me right now... money isn't a problem... just don't have a place to put it :(

then he'd have to make another website like MR-2Swap.com, or Toyota-tech.com.... :p

There are no websites about Toyota engine swaps because people that do the swap never want to think, talk about or remember the experience.

The 4Runner, I think, is getting a V8.

MR2 is SOLD !

Celica is still up for sale.. A great Drift project / classy road car / Jamming GT car.

And the 87 4Runner might be hitting the block as well.

-> Steve

Back