2001 Honda Accord VP Condenser Fan / AC Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

puffdaddy411

Hello all. From the topic you can see this is about a 2001 Accord VP Condensor Fan. There are 2 fans on the back of the condensor/radiator. According to the fuses in the "under-the-hood" fuse box, one fan is called something like the "AC Condensor Fan" and the other is called something like the "AUX AC condensor fan."

Is one of the fans supposed to turn on with the AC, regardless of temp, and the other (AUX) turn on and off periodically as the temp rises?

Here is my situation. I am having some AC issues and an auto repair shop is having trouble determining the problem. From what I have noticed, both fans turn on at the same time and off at the same time. When they are on, the AC blows good cold air. When they turn off the air becomes humid and warm as if I pushed the AC button on the console. This alternates every 15-20 seconds. Therefore, the cabin never cools off well.

The initial problem was a bad compressor. So, the shop replaced the Compressor, dryer, and exp. valve. They also flushed the system several times and tested for leaks. Nothing to report.
The AC button scenario is a good way to describe its symptom. Drive around pushing the AC botton every 20 seconds except at idle. The fans/AC actually work better when at idle because they are on constantly. They turn off when I begin to drive as air passes over the condensor (as normal i believe).
HELP!!!!

:(

One more thing. Its night here now and cooler. This is the only time the car will show the symptoms at idle because the condensor fans will turn on and off. During the day, they are on at all times when at idle because of the heat. I checked the clutch on the compressor. When the fans turned off, the clutch disenganged. When the fans turned on, the clutch enganged.

Is this normal?
:confused:

Back