2005-2006 Snow Tire thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
so, I'm starting to look for snows for the suby... what about you guys? any plans, ideas, thoughts, reviews?

i'm really sick of TireRack.com reviews- cuz 95% of them are like "OMG best tire i've ever used"
COMPARED TO WHAT?!!?!? ugh, drives me nuts.

Quoted post[/post]]
so, I'm starting to look for snows for the suby... what about you guys? any plans, ideas, thoughts, reviews?

i'm really sick of TireRack.com reviews- cuz 95% of them are like "OMG best tire i've ever used"
COMPARED TO WHAT?!!?!? ugh, drives me nuts.

General rule of thumb with snow tires is to go with a narrow tire and rim, like 6.5" width max. If you're driving in snow, a narrow tire will cut right thru, whereas a wider tire will have problems. As far as brands and what not, hell I dunno. I'm partial to Toyo's. I used to be able to floor it in my V6 camry in the snow, and the tires would catch themselves and get traction. Damn good tires. They were Toyo Spectrum All Season. And they're not too expensive either. :)

try to find out what the WRC guys are using. In one of the Best Motoring reviews; they talk about how incredible the WRC STi handled with off-the-shelf tires that anyone could buy(this was in the snow btw).

Quoted post[/post]]
try to find out what the WRC guys are using. In one of the Best Motoring reviews; they talk about how incredible the WRC STi handled with off-the-shelf tires that anyone could buy(this was in the snow btw).

Yeah, relative cheapies. Just don't go crazy with the throttle and you should be fine :laugh:

Rain= wide tires for wider footprint
Snow= narrow tires to cut thru easier, less resistance the better.

i was on my 140 treadwre bridgestones last season (bnought the car in february.. didn't want to bother with a set of snows for a month)

going was ok, turning was ok, but the thing just wouldn't stop.

As far as reviews, I'm not going to be any help. BUT I've also researched this earlier this month for my car.

From www.tirerack.com:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, 205/60/16 <-- SUPERB snow/ice traction
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, 205/60/16 <-- Good snow/ice traction
Pirelli W-210 Snowsport; 205/60/16 <-- SUPERB all around snow/ice/dry/wet traction

When I threw up my thread on here, Asmall gave a BIG thumbsup to the WS-50s. Then E threw in his suggestion of Nokian Tires.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/homeF.cfm

These are the two he recommended;

Nokian RSI (studless)
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 (studable)

I actually had very good luck driving up and down ice/snow covered mountain roads on a set of Dunlop SP8000s, and every time I've been caught in snow/ice with my S-03s it's never been a problem. Seriously.

Quoted post[/post]]
I actually had very good luck driving up and down ice/snow covered mountain roads on a set of Dunlop SP8000s, and every time I've been caught in snow/ice with my S-03s it's never been a problem. Seriously.

:huh: *checks Mike's location again.*

:blink:

Do you travel a lot outside of Texas?

Quoted post[/post]]
i was on my 140 treadwre bridgestones last season (bnought the car in february.. didn't want to bother with a set of snows for a month)

going was ok, turning was ok, but the thing just wouldn't stop.

Last year my parents promised me they would buy studded sno tires for my civic as a christmass present. . . . . that never happened, so i will be getting some of those same tites for free this year. > . i :)

what are snow tires? :p never need those in cali. j/k yea im really just jealous we cant enjoy the Code Whites out here. shit, i've never even driven in snow

E had the sp5000's all seasons on the mx-3 and they did fairly well. i was quite impressed. but, i'm buying a winter tire... not an all season or summer tire that can do snow. i live in new england. if theres not snow on the ground, its sand and crap everywhere, so high performance driving is at a minimum until late march anyway.

the nokians are bad ass... but like no one sells them.... and in a 225/45/17 (yes, im putting these on my stock wheels) they are about 200 bucks a tire. a little more than i want to spend on winter tires...

i don't really have a choice. no steelie will clear the brembo's... so the oem wheels are going to be my witner bitches, and i'll get a good set of wheels in the spring or something.

and james, why in gods name are you running a 205/60/16????
195/55/15 is stock size.
if anything, for winter, you should be looking at a 185/60/14

the yokohama as430's had rave reviews about snow driving. some of the reason i purchased them. i cant wait until it snows. :wub:

Bridgestone Blizzak's or nothing at all. Seriously....I live 40 minutes North of Toronto, Ontario .....I fucking know what snow and ice and -45 Celcius is aboot. I have tried the Continental TS810's, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's, some from Cooper Tires, General Tires among others....but the Blizzak LM22's are the shit, hands down. Wouldnt buy anything else.

Quoted post[/post]]
E had the sp5000's all seasons on the mx-3 and they did fairly well. i was quite impressed. but, i'm buying a winter tire... not an all season or summer tire that can do snow. i live in new england. if theres not snow on the ground, its sand and crap everywhere, so high performance driving is at a minimum until late march anyway.

the nokians are bad ass... but like no one sells them.... and in a 225/45/17 (yes, im putting these on my stock wheels) they are about 200 bucks a tire. a little more than i want to spend on winter tires...

i don't really have a choice. no steelie will clear the brembo's... so the oem wheels are going to be my witner bitches, and i'll get a good set of wheels in the spring or something.

and james, why in gods name are you running a 205/60/16????
195/55/15 is stock size.
if anything, for winter, you should be looking at a 185/60/14

I'm not. I was going to get a tire/wheel package with 16s. I have 195/55/15 ES100s on the stock rims now.

ok, but WHY? when you go to a larger rim, you go DOWN in profile, not up.
do you have any idea how big those are? lol i doubt that would clear your fenders.

its like 10% bigger... 25.7" diameter.
my slicks, were 24.5

lol

thats HUGE dude.

Never said I was actually going to go with that size persay, but that's just what TireRack.com brought up in a simple search.

I'd probably end up with a 205/50-16s.

195/55/15s= 23.44"
205/50/16s= 24.04"

205/40/16= 22.5" (do they make that size?)
205/60/16= 25.7"

I know 205/60s would be fine, if I didn't lock the steering wheel in a turn. :p

Anyway, as I said. I was simply researching tires. and yes, I know how to figure tire height. :mrgreen:

With si's/integras with their brakes, you need to find a 14 inch wheel that will fit over the brakes. Integra steelies will as well as del Sol alloys (at least the newer versions of del sol wheels) The general rule is the skinnier the tire, the easier time you have "cutting" through the snow, and then the tread pattern of the tire is what propels you.

B, I go to school in the UP of michigan in the most northen, lake effected area, so we get a shit load of snow (300inches average) and with the ws50's, I have never had a problem. I have stoped and very large inclines and slowly, I could actually drive it up no problem. One day my freind and I were going up a completely iced over parking lot (like everything built on a very steep hill) my buddy in his bronco 2 with allterains in 4wd couldn't even make it up the hill with a decent running, me with having to stop halfway to wait for him, I drove around him and made it to the top of the ice over hill. The best part, after I got out of the car, I proceeded to walk a few feet and slip right on my ass from the icy hill.

So they do great in really deep powdery snow (one time 24inchs worth of it) great in icy/hard packed snow, and fairly well in heavy wet snow. I am not saying they are the best of the best or anything like that, but they were able to get a lowered del sol (no I didn't raise my car up) through a Houghton Michigan winter, and I have no doubts in them this year. Thats my review, and my recomendation. I have put a decent amount of miles on the tires in both winter and some over 32*-50*F long highway (few thousand) driving and they still have about 60% tread left on them.

Are they good when its kinda warm out? No
Do they handle that well? No (unless you like your sidewalls to flex like waterballoons)

Back