4 doors, some mods, and a track

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

in mexico they still make 90 sentras brand new under the title tsudo.

buy a 90 sentra, swap in an sr, then swap all the cosmetic shit to tsudo stuff.

theres a guy in my area that did exactly that, like his bumpers and headlights (which are halos) are all from a stock '04 tsudo. the car looks badass, and is very clean. was all relatively cheap and he has a very nice, modern looking car.
simple i/h/e and he dynoed 155 whp from a red top sr20. ive raced him a few times and he beats me by 1-2 cars everytime.

maximas r kinda expensive too

i would suggest a legend but that seems kinda expensive too

other than that i dunno

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 19 2005, 10:14 PM
Neon. First gen.  The 4 doors have a nice and predictable rear-end rotation.

-> S
[post=528834]Quoted post[/post]​

neons suck, no offense. only good neon is the the srt4, but thats $17,000 more than your looking to spend

4door teggy is a good choice.

Originally posted by blackice90HB+Jul 19 2005, 09:42 PM-->
@Jul 19 2005, 10:14 PM
Neon. First gen.  The 4 doors have a nice and predictable rear-end rotation.

-> S
[post=528834]Quoted post[/post]​

neons suck, no offense. only good neon is the the srt4, but thats $17,000 more than your looking to spend

4door teggy is a good choice.
[post=528853]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you actually KNOW anything about neons? Or are you just spouting off because you're a "honda boy"?

If you haven't learned yet, you soon will. When Steve says something technical about cars, 9 out of 10 times he's right.

Ehhhh, I dunno. A coworker of mine is a fan of everything Dodge/Chrysler. They can do no wrong in his eyes, and even loves the new behemoths that Dodge is churning out.

He used to drive a Neon, mid-90's. He said he had to get rid of the car, because even though it was peppy (for a Neon), it sucked too bad and started eating up way too much $$$ in maintenance costs.

I'd stay away.

neons are DSM right? I guess everyone is saying go nissan. What years did they make them. Im trying to get a 87 BMW 325is coupe for cheap hopefully it goes through.

nobody likes the Jettas? I cant blame you guys but they do have some sweet suspention upgrades over some other cars. Neuspeed is my friend! Had it on my sol and like it over eibach and whatever the teal ones are????

I don't particularly like the Neon either, but Steve didn't say they were reliable, fast, or easy on maintenance. He said they can handle really well. He might be right, I don't know. I've never driven a Neon. All I can say is that given my experiences talking to Steve, when he says something technical and automotive related he's usually right.

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jul 20 2005, 11:59 AM
neons are DSM right? I guess everyone is saying go nissan. What years did they make them. Im trying to get a 87 BMW 325is coupe for cheap hopefully it goes through.

nobody likes the Jettas? I cant blame you guys but they do have some sweet suspention upgrades over some other cars. Neuspeed is my friend! Had it on my sol and like it over eibach and whatever the teal ones are????
[post=528945]Quoted post[/post]​

neons are NOT DSMs, reliability isnt too bad, parts arent too expensive, about as quick as an LS integra, they handle ok, they are pretty easy to work on (my friend mike has owned 4 of them)

91-98 sentras will be cheap and will take the FWD SR20DET easy

the BMW will cost a LOT for maintainance... keep that in mind

jettas are generally good... just gotta be careful with them cuz a few years have really bad electrical issues

4 door teg F the beemer. You will pay more in maintenance then you will for the car.
Too heavy too slow. Just my .02

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 20 2005, 09:00 AM
I don't particularly like the Neon either, but Steve didn't say they were reliable, fast, or easy on maintenance. He said they can handle really well. He might be right, I don't know. I've never driven a Neon. All I can say is that given my experiences talking to Steve, when he says something technical and automotive related he's usually right.
[post=528946]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, SolPWR mentioned that he's thinking of buying a sedan because he's got a family. That led me to believe that he was looking for something at least a little reliable, which is a bill that a Neon will not usually fit. VW's fall into the same category.

But, if we're throwing reliability to the wind in favor of handling (and maybe some power), that opens up more possibilities. But didn't he say that he wanted something for autox? A FWD car is the last thing I'd want for autox.

i vote sentra still....... probablly the only guy here whos owned a B13 SER and a 2G teg.

the coupe is heavy and the b18 works to move it with a mediocre amount of body roll, i cant imagine what the fo-do feels like, but im gonna guess: heavier, slower, and more body roll.

now a SR powered B13 fo-do will have plenty of pep for you. i believe that the 4door integra will have less body roll then the sentra, but a few DIY parts on the sentra do wonders for chassis rigidity (IKEA brace)

my no BS recommendation is as follows:

if you want something tahts gonna be kinda fun out of the box with no work, get the Integra. but if you want something thats gonna be way more fun, and a little more work, taking the time to swap an NA SR into a B13 4door and the rear disc brakes to go with it is gonna be well worth your time.

For the record, I was talking about turboing the GA16.... screw swapping anything after what I have seen..... if you get an se-r you are already ahead of the game. the aftermarkter that supports that car alone is MASSIVE

on the other hand if you dont and you actually get a 4 door like you have been talking, then dont worry about a swap, buy the car for 700-1500 and if the engine is near 300k then you might opt for a rebuild, actually if its over 200k you are going to want to rebuild it, for what you need.

rebuild the 1.6, turbo it with either a complete hotshot kit, or you can have all the parts made, use a 14B turbo from a DSM or a few other cars, a decent cooler that flows pretty well and on stock boost with a slight bit of tuning you would be seeing about 170ish at the wheels, with a little help in the clutch and flywheel, you could be sitting at 190 ish... and if you dont believe me the stock flywheel in a sentra 1.6 weighs 26 lbs... the fiadanza or JWT weigh 7 and 8 respectively.....

basically for 3 grand, you are running pretty quick times, your car is still WAY under 2400lbs probably along the lines of 2300 with the turbo

then you get to suspension and I would recommend the Ground control kit and probably some koni shocks.... its just really what is in your budget but spring rates should be about 300 front and 200 rear, more and your back will eat you....

tires... talk to Brian or one of the people that ACTUALLY know what they are talking about

wheels.... in due time, but lighter is better and if you go to anything above 16s you should probably upgrade the brakes..... For that you can steal all the stuff off of a SE-R or an NX2000.... if you go for the NX2000 you can get the ABS discs front and rear and basically be at your stopping limit... If I remember correctly my friend went 70-0 in 146feet.... that might seem like a lot, but the new porche does it in 145 feet

pads are pretty much again up to you, but Hawk HPS or Axxis metal somethingorother are really really good for their price.... I hope I just got the names right

any more questions I could go on for days...

i didn't read the thread at all but for 3K i would consider:

a early '90's Sentra SE-R (and only SE-R)
mid '90's AWD Impreza RS (tough to find near 3k though.)
late '80's-early '90's Mitsu Galant VR-4 (turbo and boost-friendy, AWD, AWS=unbelievable turning radius)

or my personal favorite:
1st gen Integra 4 door ('86-'89). many swap options, exceptionally roomy, fold the seats and it becomes a pickup, lol. Go for LS with sunroof. Light and well balanced, proven to outmaneuver 2nd gen's on stock suspension. Plus, this is considered by some the car (albiet 2dr version) that sorta started the import tuner craze. I disagree though (1st Gen CRX).

i vote accord. my sister has a 91 LX, that thing is fun to drive. my cousin also has one(same trim), and was able to get it for $2000(in Greensboro, NC). i guess you have to be patient and just look around.

neons -> No, I've driven them, slow and I personally think they handle like shit.

BMW -> Negative, they maybe nice. But reliability is an issue.

VW ->Depends, 2.0s are garbage, VR6s defenitly have their issues. 1.8Ts have and still have sludge problems. I've owned a few VW's and currently own a VW (Audi, but their the same). Audi's are too high to maintain.

Now, I know this is out of no where but what about a saturn.

They're about as quick as an LS, not really the handling machine but with some work they can handle ok. Dime a dozen. Don't even look at the SOHC models. They're plastic.....

My defense of Neons is only stated because of what I've seen they can do. Out of the box they are shitpiles. But then again, so are ED Civics. It's all about what you make of them.

If you're working within a budget, you HAVE to mod to get speed. Fast, Cheap or Good - Pick 2.

Neons are well balanced, and the 2 doors have a great balance and the 4 doors over more oversteer than you might expect. The big problem with FWD cars and Oversteer is that correction involves MORE throttle, and if you're flying up on traffic, something catches you by surprise, applying MORE throttle isn't probably in your bag of tricks.

I've seen Neons take a beating and still work, Then I've seen Neons where you push the cig lighter in and they blow the fuck up. It's a toss-up.

As for the DSM referrence the DOHC motor is similar to the 4G63T, but it spins the opposite way. a DOHC Neon motor DOES swap into the hood of the SOHC ones.

Neons do not ever have front power windows (Well, except for the current gen). Power windows are reserved for the 4 doors REAR doors only. It's wierd.

-> Steve

4 go-carts with HF swaps!

Why not do what we do.. I have an unmolested 97 integra 4 door for the family car,(wife and two kids) and a CRX Si for a second car (my main car, wife drives the teggy) The Integra is pretty much stock. The CRX is swapped, lowered, modded ALOT. A fun track car, too.

Back