4th Generation Swapping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Phat C

Anybody out there have a 90-93 Honda Accord that they swapped out their f22 and put in an h22 from a 92-96 prelude? If so I have some questions to ask. Please respond: :D

The BEST tip is:

atb_search.gif
SEARCH

Then ask questions.

That's the funny thing. I search and search and search. I'm a member of three different forums and that is all anybody can tell me: " Just search online and you'll find something"....Well I've searched for a lot that relates to my car and I have 10 pages of printed out information, But I've yet to talk with somebody who has actually done it to their car. I hear about some guys doing 4th generation swapping, but I can't ever contact them. I'm just trying to find somebody with a 90-93 accord that just might have done the swap so I can ask them questions. It's not like I'm gong to stop searching, but that only goes so far.

Well, then ask some questions. Alot of us have done swaps, both in 4th gens and 5th gens (which are very similar).

92 Accord, see sig.

You just need to know what to search for. Click on the link in my sig also, it has a lot of info.

What you need depends on how much money you have, and how much ghetto you want. Like he said, ask a question.

Tell us, what car you have, and what tranny(auto or 5 spd.) Tell us exactly what you need to know. The swap is easy, with the right info. ;)

I'm looking for a lot of the same info. 91 EXR F22A4 looking to swap in a H22.
So many questions....
I am apparently OBD0, will I have problems with the H22 ECU?
Do I need to build any special mountings for any parts?
Should I be looking for a certain year donor?

....more to come - I'm sure.

Just a start. You are technically OBD0, but for all intents and purposes, you are OBD 1. This means, for the H22, that you want a 92-96 JDM H22. In the US, OBD 2 came in 96. So for US models, you want 93-95.

Are you auto or stick, once again?

Sorry, 5-speed. I'm coming up on 345,000 kms (Canada), so my brother-in-law and I wanted to pull the motor (F22A4) and rebuild it - I have a few seal leaks. Then I started thinking about swapping it right out, so here I am.

Afterthought. Did you do your swap yourself? How much would it cost to get a shop to do it? Any extra welding, or custom fitting? (something about power steering line and throttle cable mount ring a bell from a recent article I read about a '94 swap).

After Searching I found that I will need the following for the slwap:
Required parts:
94-95 Prelude H22A motor
although you can use a 96 or newer motor, you will have to change the motor to OBD-1 emissions.
94-00 Transmission of choice
a prelude tranny of similar year is recommended because you will be able to experience the full potential of the 190 hp VTEC motor. this is not required, but the accord tranny (especially the automatic) is just not up to handling the increased power
94-94 Prelude VTEC ECU
Axles that match your transmission choice (Automatic or 5 Speed ) from an Accord 90-93
Accord Automatic axles for an auto transmission and Accord 5 Speed axles for a 5 speed transmission
Transmission mount for the tranny you selected
Accord engine mounts, Front, Rear, and Drivers side
95 Prelude power steering line (Si or Si VTEC)
Prelude or Accord Alternator
95 Prelude Power Steering Pump
95 Prelude AC Compressor
95 Prelude AC line coming out from compressor

I'm going to stay Auto with an auto transmission too. My main question is will I have to change any of the motor mounts or the transmission mount? Also, will I have to shave anything off the engine or the car in order to fit the engine in.

Originally posted by Phat C@May 8 2004, 08:45 AM
After Searching I found that I will need the following for the slwap:
Required parts:
94-95 Prelude H22A motor
although you can use a 96 or newer motor, you will have to change the motor to OBD-1 emissions.
94-00 Transmission of choice
a prelude tranny of similar year is recommended because you will be able to experience the full potential of the 190 hp VTEC motor. this is not required, but the accord tranny (especially the automatic) is just not up to handling the increased power
94-94 Prelude VTEC ECU
Axles that match your transmission choice (Automatic or 5 Speed ) from an Accord 90-93
Accord Automatic axles for an auto transmission and Accord 5 Speed axles for a 5 speed transmission
Transmission mount for the tranny you selected
Accord engine mounts, Front, Rear, and Drivers side
95 Prelude power steering line (Si or Si VTEC)
Prelude or Accord Alternator
95 Prelude Power Steering Pump
95 Prelude AC Compressor
95 Prelude AC line coming out from compressor

I'm going to stay Auto with an auto transmission too. My main question is will I have to change any of the motor mounts or the transmission mount? Also, will I have to shave anything off the engine or the car in order to fit the engine in.

You are off on a lot of things

you want/need

92-96 Prelude DOHC VTEC engine
Don't grab a newer motor, you'll kick yourself if you do.
94-00 I think is civics. For an Accord, you can grab 90 and up. 92 and up for prelude trannies.
H22A tranny is shorter geared. Best tranny for the NA setup, but a 5 spd Accord tranny would be fine too. It will hold up fine.
92-96 JDM P13 ECU, or 93-95 USDM(fuel maps not as good.), or a chipped P28.
Prelude and Accord Axles are the same, however, I think you need the right intermediate shaft on the manual setup. Ask someone with a manual. I forget and I drank shitloads last night.
Use the Accord mounts in an Accord, including transmission mount
Prelude DOHC VTEC power steering hose wanted, or lose power steering.
Prelude power steering pump
either alternator
Leave your accord AC compressor hooked up in the car, bolt it on to the new engine using the Accord brackets

Auto is simple. Same mounts, same axles. No cutting or shaving. Prelude hose, prelude header and downpipe. Accord catback recommended, made a big difference for me.
My setup is in my sig, and pics too. I kept all accessories, and the boltup was perfect.

Originally posted by pomegranate@May 8 2004, 02:23 AM
Sorry, 5-speed. I'm coming up on 345,000 kms (Canada), so my brother-in-law and I wanted to pull the motor (F22A4) and rebuild it - I have a few seal leaks. Then I started thinking about swapping it right out, so here I am.

I would definitely swap before rebuilding.

Given the mileage of your tranny, I'd think about replacing it, just cuz you'll already have it out. You would surely want a better clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing for a H22.

Are you telling me that you have done this b4 into a 4th generation accord? I'm looking for somebody that has done it from start to end and what they've replaced, did to make it fit, etc.....

Don't bother looking for a 'doner' car, especially as you're staying auto.

Buy an OBD-1 H22A w/AT (LSD or non).

You need the engine, tranny, computer, header and downpipe.

Only things you need to change are:

1) The JDM downpipe may need to have the flange from your f22 downpipe welded onto it.

2) If you don't buy a 92-96 prelude power steering pressure hose, use your f22 power steering pump and bracket. (The f22 bracket will only have 2 of its 3 bolt holes line up) If you use the f22 power steering pump you need a 44" belt.

3) A/C was addressed by TAB

4) You need to add in 4 wires for vtec associated components, and you need to lengthen the oil pressure sensor wire by about 6" and relocate it to the oil pressure sensor on the h22.

5) Also buy some ebay 3" intake to accomodate the larger h22 throttle body

Other than that it IS COMPLETELY BOLT IN. You don't need to buy anything else *unless you find components that needed replacing anyway, such as motor mounts*.

YOu use your f22 mounts and brackets.

It drops right in.

That's it. Nothing more. Just an engine hoist, a good set of tools, some degreaser, a few electrical rings/butt splices and a 6 pack. If you have experience, you can get this swap done in a weekend.

It is the most straightforward and idiot-savant honda swap. It is no more difficult, nor requires any additional components, than changing your motor for a stock f22.

90-93 accords own all! :D

I've changed my motor about 3 times already (and done numerous other swaps as well). The third motor took about 5 hours to do from start to end. :D

s4089e754a8764.jpg

Yeah, 90-93 is fourth gen. I did mine myself. It's not that bad. The first time will take you the longest. Each time after that will get faster and faster.

5) Also buy some ebay 3" intake to accomodate the larger h22 throttle body
92-96 JDM P13 ECU, or 93-95 USDM(fuel maps not as good.), or a chipped P28.

What do those mean?

Your stock f22 intake won't fit on the Prelude throttle body so go and buy one for a 92-96 prelude.

Since you're going automatic, the ecu issue is kind of a moot point as you'll need the JDM h22 auto ECU.

OK, got a line on a JDM H22 complete set. Some local company that imports them from overseas. $3000 CDN though. Is that a reasonable price? Anyone else want one? Maybe get a group or bulk rate?:D The guy was kinda rude, but from what I gathered it's a full setup: motor, tranny, ECU, exhaust. Man I'm droolin' just thinkin' about it.

Duh, canadian, so that's what about $2000 US?

Back