5th gear problems.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EFCivicSi

I have been having trouble with my fifth gear. For some odd reason it doesn't want to shift all the way in. I can force it in sometimes. Other times I have to let out on the clutch and then push it back in. I just need some ideas what might be wrong with it. Of course when it doesn't go all the way in and I think it does it pops out. So if any of you have any idea what it might be please let me know. Thanks.

probally shift linkage if not i would have to say the blocking rings on 5th arent meshing but does it grind or not

maybe a bad sync? my friend had a similar problem in his cougar. it wouldn't go into gear with out force. he took it into mercury and they replaced the syncros and he still to this day has no problems with the tranny shifting.

yeah...i was assuming he is smart enough to check it before he posted here...maybe not....

I was going to check the fluid but I'm not sure where to check. I just got the car. I never had to in my last car. It had a cable clutch. My friend had a '91 Prelude with a hydrolic clutch and he had to put fluid in. I'm just not sure where to check since I don't have a manual for the car. I suppose I'm not that smart. haha.

ok...well it will be on the firewall in the back right hand corner in the engine bay. it should(if i'm not mistaken)have a grey cap on it about as round as the bottom of a pop can. it should be marked somehow. if not look for the master cylinder. it will be attached to it. i'll try to bring up a pic to show you:

54_2.jpg

don't get this confused with the BRAKE master cylinder. that will be to the left of this one(view point as if you were looking into the engine bay)check with your local parts store to get the fluid you need. they'll look it up and have you on your way.

maybe ur shift fork inside the tranny? u have one for 1st-2nd one for 3rd-4th and a seperate one for 5th if i can remeber correctly.

Back