$700, what to do

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicefdx

i have a 91 civic hatch dx with a usdm d15b2. dont wnat to go broke on this project, so should i go for a z6/y8 mini me, jdm d15, or d16a6? any other recomendations?

get a D16z6. its a direct swap and will bolt up to your existing tranny. you can find those motors pretty cheap.

Yea, the enigne maybe cheap but the parts he needs to swap in it... EI water pump, timing belt, etc... arent... so save your money for a better engine

B-series>D-series

I suggest a b18b, much better starting point and not too much more expensive. You can get a full swap for under 2k. I got mine for like 1200.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Aug 30 2004, 09:07 AM
B-series>D-series

I suggest a b18b, much better starting point and not too much more expensive. You can get a full swap for under 2k. I got mine for like 1200.
[post=383736]Quoted post[/post]​

The he needs mounts and shiftlinkage, which almost totals all 700 bucks he has to spend. Then the usual full tune up including timing belt, waterpump he's looking at approximately easily 2k for the swap.

I say stick with a d16z6 or a zc. My step bro got a zc in his 91 hatch dx installed and wired for 900 bucks at a very noteworthy mechanic.

If your engine doesnt smoke, just swap it from dpfi to mpfi, throw in an Si cam with a header, intake and a performance muffler. It wont be a b16, but you would be surpised how much faster the car is. This can all be done for about $400 to $500 and thats including the exhaust parts. One word, Ebay. :) Should be able to find all you need there.

Or if you wanna go faster, the d16z6 or d16y8 are good swaps too. Direct bolt in when talking about mounts and linkage. More work depending on which computer setup you want, obd0 or obd1. Every swap costs alot more than you plan, so remember that with the b-series swaps. If you have the money, then do a B-series, if not, stay down with the D.

Later

That's why I said wait and save....it will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure he's going to end up wanting a faster car, and a b-series would be a better[/] starting point. If he's just looking for some extra power and will be satisfied for a while then by all means d series is the way to go.

Good choice.

I say do an MPFI conversion now, it cost me about 250 bucks total including the trips to honda to get the hoses and other parts i was missing. Then save the rest towards a b series swap down the road. MPFI swap now, less of a headache when swapping down the road.

no matter what you do, dont' stay with the 1.5L.

go with either a d16z6 or a zc in order to stay in yer budget.

i like the zc cuz i got one, but you can get a ZC for under $500 for just the motor, so do that then save your other $200 for other little things and start saving towards a turbo kit

get the money to put a turbo on and hten go rape b series

Back