87 rex engine swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DelSol96gsr

I have a friend who is selling an 87 crx si because of a hole in the side of the block and i was wondering if i can take the block out of my del sol and put it in the rex.

My del sol is a 96 S model with a d16y6 and it's OBD2 and the rex is OBD0

I am wanting to know what all i would have to do in order to do this, if its even possible?

I have the honda engine swaps book by aaron bonk but it isn't to detailed on this. It says i would have to backdate the sensors and computer by swapping dizzy, o2 sensor and injectors OBD0 status may be retained.

So to me that means it will work as long as i use the head that is already in the rex and get rid of the CPK sensor on the new block.

Please LMK if i am wrong any help is greatly appreciated

please please someone help I would like to know asap so i can get my Gsr put in the Sol

I gotta have a beater car to drivee while its in the garage

The 1st gen teg (86-87, D16a1) is a pretty much "bolt in" for the SI. Heck you could even swap out the whole front suspension cradle with it if you want power steering.
That's what was offered in the JDM ones back then.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the later stuff. Sorry.

E

OR I can send you a good core block too..
Where are you located? I'd like another ol Rex..

E

the 88 and up D-series engines will not bolt into the 1g CRX - the mounts are different - the engine won't bolt to the 1g transmission - the newer engines also have electronic ignition timing where the 1g has vacuum advance ignition, which would mean a bunch of wiring

Back