88-91 CRX Radiator Question.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaliWho97

I'm building a boosted D16Z6 for my 1990 CRX HF, and I'm worried that I won't have enough room to clear the manifold that I want to use. I was looking into a 92-95 civic radiator, but I was told that they are too tall. I'd rather not spend the $$$ on the Fluidyne radiator and Fal Fan, but if I have to, I guess I will..... Does anyone know of any tips?? Possibly any other brands of radiators that are good? Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah if a thinner fax will work they have em at auto zone for like 60 bucks and they are real thin and blow like hell

Hey not trying to jack the thread, but when I get into my crx. I was thinking of putting the fan on the front side of the rad, and see if it could be set up to push air through, instead of sucking. I have seen it done on some industrial applications, has anyone setup their car like this?

Or is it just a dumb idea!

Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@Nov 6 2003, 10:00 PM
Hey not trying to jack the thread, but when I get into my crx. I was thinking of putting the fan on the front side of the rad, and see if it could be set up to push air through, instead of sucking. I have seen it done on some industrial applications, has anyone setup their car like this?

Or is it just a dumb idea!

Its dumb. How you gonna cool your engine?

not dumb, thatas how we are doing it on a b16 turbo works just fine

and what are you talking about cooling the engine, coolant cools the engine, fans pull air over the radiator which cools the coolant so it can cool the engine.

I ran an Si radiator on my D16Z6 turbo setup with a FAL and never over heated...went on long trips this summer too and no over heating...hope that helps...but if I had the money at the time I would of gone Fluidyne... B)

My issue is Manifold Clearance though. I decided to do the B16a instead, and it takes up a shitload more room than the D series. I emailed Rev-Hards Tech, and they said that I might be able to use a 5th gen radiator if I get a place racing front crossmember. What do you guys think?

trim the fan shroud off or buy a different manifold. I've seen a setup in an Ef where the manifold met the turbo about where the battery should be. It had equally length runners with a long, sweeping bend. This allowed for a shorter charge pipe and made a shitload of clearance. I'll post the pic if I find it.
~timE

Found it!!! (stolen from www.homemadeturbo.com)
s3fb1a5c0445db.jpg

s3fb1a53e975f7.jpg

~timE

too bad you have almost no way of adding an intercooler.....

stick to the normal design, its simpler and is more effective.

Thats what I was looking at..... I think I'm going to get the place racing crossmember, then trailer my car to a local shop and test fit the fluidyne radiator.

Back