88 crx si a6/y8 mini me questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so i just bought the head. everything's from a 99-00 civic ex. $180 for the complete head, complete manifold with injectors, fuel rail, throttle body, everything, and also a field vtec controller with complete harness. i'm just going to use the vtec controller for now. what do you guys think?

my new question is, will i still have to cover up the air injection holes if the head and manifold both came off together?

the image below is of my intake manifold. i was told it was from a manual 2000 civic ex, so i'm guessing everything circled in red is what needs to be plugged. can anybody verify this please? also, do all of these NEED to be plugged since i'm still using the same y8 head that this manifold came from? thanks
Photo-00152.jpg

and here's a picture of the head. upon more review, it looks like this y8 head's holes doesn't match up exactly to the manifold. is this head from a 96-98? thanks a lot
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
i wish i woulda got to this thread sooner before you bough the y8 head. man i got my z6 head for $125 with 100k on it and the jumper was $56 on ebay and the belt was $18 and go to the junk yard or pull apart for you o2 sensor and the clips that will make your conversion so much easier

If you're runing the Y8 head and intake manifold you don't need to block anyting.

You will have to get the injectors off of the D16A6 Si intake manifold you have and put them on the Y8 manifold. It will make life much easier.

When this thing is up and running don't run it over 4000 RPM.

Is your current motor fine? If so just leave it alone, without converting it to OBD1 and useing a P28 ECU you won't feel a difference. And with your stock motor you'll be able to rev out to the redline.

You also got a pretty good deal because my Z6 head was $200 for just the head.

Last edited:
my manifold doesn't look like it came with that head. it looks like the manifold is 99-00 while the head is 96-98. can anybody verify that? i know i need to block off the air injection hole(s) but which are they? thanks

another thing with this head swap dnt for get to take out the oil control jet its on the block inbetween the 2 and 3 cylinders just thread a screw in there and pull it out. you wont engage vtec with out this out. i forgot about it and and to pull my head off and re do all the gaskets it was a bitch.

yeah i know all about that, that's too bad though man, having to redo everything and pay for new gaskets. it's just a lesson, now you won't ever forget right? lol.

anyways, can anybody tell me exactly what all of the holes are that are circled in red? and tell me if i need to plug them up or not. because i can tell that nothing on the head is going to block those holes on the manifold. let me know please. thanks a lot
Photo-00152.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
to be honest with ya i think those are coolant holes and if i were you i would prob go get the y8 intake just for ease of instalation. the other thing you wanna look at is when you do your swap and if your keepin the obd2 injectors ya gotta change the clips for them

that is the y8 manifold that's pictured. i was told to plug the top 5 holes but leave the bottom left one in the picture unplugged because that's for coolant.

i'm not keeping the injectors, i'm gonna put my obd0's in the manifold with the y8 fuel rail

i was also told that there's a date stamp on the head, i looked for a date and found "97". so now i know this guy was kinda bs'ing me because he said the head and manifold were together. i know it's bs now because the head is the 96-98 style while the manifold is the 99-00 style. either way it'll all work out, so i'm not too worried.

have any of you hooked up a fields vtec controller in a obd0 crx? that's what i'm going to need to know next. please let me know if you know anything about it at all

i appreciate everybody's help and advice. i love learning more and more about all of this and hope you guys will keep teaching me tons of new things. thanks again!

well if plug the holes cuz i have no clue where they go and as long as the coolant hole lines up you shud be good to go. and when you do the injector swap im not sure as to the fit the obd0 are a little taller if im not mistaken. and another thing is make sure you put a thin coat of copper spray gasket on your head, intake, and exhaust gaskets it will help alot.
as far as the vtec controler goes wehre are you getting it from? and in thelong run you should just go get a p28 ecu and convert to obd1 for better tuning.

i'll have to take apart the intake manifold and see if the injectors are any different. where should i spray the copper gasket at? directly onto the head and flanges of the manifold, or onto the gaskets? i already have the vtec controller, i got it with the head and manifold. i plan on converting to obd1 but just not very soon. i have other bills to pay, along with xmas, so don't have money for the obd1 swap. i do plan on doing it, just not right now, so i'm sticking with the vtec controller til then, which is why i need to know how to hook it up. can anybody else chime in also? thanks again

could any one tell what parts are needed for 1990 crx 1.5 liter non vtech block wantin to install a vetch d16y8 head and intake. thanks

well earlier in this thread it says that for a 1.6 block to use the d15b7 belt, maybe you could give that a try. you could just buy whatever belts you need and try them out, if they don't work you could always bring them back. but i'm sure somebody on here knows exactly what belt to use. have you searched on hondaswap and online? because somebody has to have done it before you know. you should probably start your own thread and ask. good luck bro

I was woundering what all parts I would need to complete a mini me swap with the d15b7 motor and the d16y8 head and intake vtech.

i had a quick question about injectors. i read taht i can use my obd0 injectors with the p28 as long as i leave resistor box. is this true? because i've also read that you can use the obd0 injectors but you have to take out the resistor box. which is true? both?

and i've also read that i can use obd1 injectors with the same obd0 clips, meaning i wouldn't have to cut off the obd0 clips and put on the obd1 clips. but then for sure i'd have to take out the resistor box. is this true?

whatever's true, which is the best route to go? i believe what i read was that the obd0 injectors with the resistor box are the way to go because they're pulse and hold or something, and it's better than the newer style? idk for sure, which is why i'm asking you guys, because i'm flooded with information now and don't know what's fake from true and what will and won't work. i know you guys know, which is why i'm asking for you help. thanks everybody

you can use either obd0 or obd1 injectors, and it doesn't matter which way you go. nothing will run any differently. the only benefit of obd1 injectors is simply for the fact that they are going to be newer than obd0 injectors, and of course you don't need the res. box so thats one less thing to go bad. not like the inj. res. boxs ever o bad anyway lol.

if you use the obd0 injectors then just leave the res. box as it is.

if you choose to use obd1 injectors then you need to delete it. remove it and solder the 5 wires from it into eachother (4 red/black, 1 yellow/black). you could also de-pin the green plug and repin each wire into a dead end plug that in essence does the same thing as soldering them all together. either way will be fine. the obd0 injector clip will work on the obd1 injector, you just have to cut a piece of the plastic from the obd0 clip out so that they will seat properly. i haven't done this personally so i cant provide pictures but from what i've read on more than one occasion this is a viable option. or if you have obd1 inj. clips at your disposal, just splice those on.

Back