89 CRX Si – rear disc brake conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kmoallem

Hello,

I’ve managed to score a set of rear disc brakes from a 91 CRX Si (complete trailing arms with all lines/cables/rotors/calipers). And, I would like to throw this into my 89 CRX Si.

I just need a little reassurance here, do I also need to change my master cylinder, brake booster and proportioning valve? Or will I be ok with just swapping the trailing arms?

I’ve already done a bit of research on the web regarding this … but I didn’t find much information about the master cylinder/booster/proportioning valve.

Thanks in advance :)

Ok a bit more information ... my current MC is 13/16 and the Prop. Valve is 1725.
Do I need to change these for a PROPER rear disk
brake conversion?

Thanx.

Thanks for the reply. I have a chance to pickup a 7/8” MC and a 3540 Prop Valve. The seller says that it is the correct setup for a CRX rear disc conversion. The parts came out of a 91 Integra (the MC at least). I would like to keep this conversion as close as possible to a CRX with stock rear discs …. Does any body know the stock MC and prop valve specs for a CRX with rear discs?

Cheers

Yes, the 91 SI had rear discs ... I have an 89 SI with drums and the trailing arms from a 91 (with discs) that I would like to throw into my car. So my questions are:

1) Does my current master cylinder (13/16") and proportioning valve (1725) need to be replaced for a proper conversion?

2) What are the stock specifications for the MC and Prop valve for a 91 CRX SI?

cheers

You shouldnt HAVE to replace the booster or master cylinder for the brake conversion, but it would be a great idea. The proportioning valve would be a must though else you wont get near the full power of the rear brakes. right now i have a teg MC and brake booster on my HF fronts (until i get the rear disks) and its an outstanding difference alone (perception more than performance difference, you just have to press the pedal less) I would suggest changing out those as well if you can, all at the same time would be easier than separating the tasks.

EDIT: I keep forgetting the SI had disks too, Youll probably be able to just use the MC out of that. If you change to a teg MC youll HAVE to change the booster as well because the MC mount on a teg is exactly opposite of that on the civics. unless you know how to keep brake fluid in while its upside down.

Thanks for all the suggestions! This is not an urgent upgrade … so I’ll take my time and try to find the integra MC/brake booster and a 4040 prop valve. I’ll pick up new front & rear rotors / pads and change over to steel brake lines too!

Back