89 octane ok for b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

bolt ons and cams, 11:1 compression. Accidentally filled up with 89 today. Should i be worried about anything?

Originally posted by BigBoy@Sep 20 2005, 10:38 PM
bolt ons and cams, 11:1 compression. Accidentally filled up with 89 today. Should i be worried about anything?
[post=557467]Quoted post[/post]​

It's okay for a stock B16. I can testify to that. But with all those mods and higher compression, I don't know.

I dont know. just swapped in i couldnt run anything but premium. thats 93 here in oregon. atleast where i go it is. Anythign less and its knocks sputters back fires and the whole schabang

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 21 2005, 02:16 AM
I dont know. just swapped in i couldnt run anything but premium. thats 93 here in oregon. atleast where i go it is. Anythign less and its knocks sputters back fires and the whole schabang
[post=557566]Quoted post[/post]​

well the best we get in cali is 91. So far i havent taken it past 4K and everything seems fine.

If you're worried, you could always drain the tank (plug in the bottom) and fill it back up with 91/93.

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 21 2005, 09:05 PM
Ah take it to 8 grand you pussy you know you want to
[post=558185]Quoted post[/post]​

yes very tempting...im just gonna drive around town tonite to empty the gas. I heard draining the plug is not a good idea cause its sometimes hard to plug back in.

I ran my B16A on 87 octane for about 2 weeks, and had no problems whatsoever. Ran great, good power. When I switched to 93 I thought I noticed a slight difference in power, but nothing like night and day or anything.

i sprayed 100 shot on 89 octane and 12* timing on a stock mustang 'vert

no problems at all.....you can and should try to use lower octane when your able to....like when it's cooler out.

you make more power as long as your not pinging

I ran 87 in my B16 all the time. I never had it ping or anything. I ran 94 from sunoco and I didnt notice a differnce at all-so screw paying 30 cents more a gallon...ill continue running 87

Back