90 Civic SI Hatch H22 vs. B18C5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxdxb16a

I'm going to buying a mint condition 90 civic SI hatchback and wanna do a swap...

The car is going to be a daily driver, but designed for 1/4 and 1/8th mile. I only plan to do a few bolt ons such as header, and CAI...

Anyways sould I get a H22, or a B18C5. I'm not worried about how hard it would be do the swap because I have a garage with all the tools I need. There is a big cost difference between the two and the weight... would the Type R be worth it... or would a H22 be better?

i say h22. cheaper, and for the initial cost, definately faster.
h22 is what i did, i'm very pleased.

Quoted post[/post]]
H22 + b16/ITR trans. done.

What is differerce between the transmission thats included with the JDM H22 and a b16 ITR transmission? And is there any difference between the USDM and JDM transmissions, I don't really know much about gear ratios and such...?

the adapter setup will cost you $1000. Then you need to buy an ITR tranny, and b-series clutch, and flywheel.

Also, your gears will be short as hell. And H doesn't rev as high as B.

So long as you dont haul ass everywhere, and obey speed limits, you'll be ok with that tranny. But you'll probably be in 5th at the track in the 1/4.

Yah I guess that the H22 would be probably the best bet, due to the cost savings... freeing up a little more money... and its a little different from what I see most of the time for 88-91 Civics and CRXs (B16 and B18 swaps).

i was wondering this same question.. cus i want a freaking fast ass ef.. but my budget isnt very big.. so i decided on the h22 swap.. but then im really into handling... is there any way that i could swap in the h22 in and have handling like i would if i was sportin a b-series motor.

Quoted post[/post]]
i was wondering this same question.. cus i want a freaking fast ass ef.. but my budget isnt very big.. so i decided on the h22 swap.. but then im really into handling... is there any way that i could swap in the h22 in and have handling like i would if i was sportin a b-series motor.
I saw a similar discussion over at HT. I didn't research myself to confirm what hey said, but multiple H22 CRX's claimed there were no handling issues whatsoever, and that the H22 long block was only 30lbs. heavier then a B18C5.

I suggest you pick up my GSR. It's only $3500 obo and it's already got a Skunk2 IM and Exedy stage2 clutch, aswell as the low-geared tranny he speaks of above (J1) and all neccessary things for the swap except 1 axle and the ecu jumper. If your interested check the link in my signature.

You can definitely make an H22 powered CRX handle if you set the spring rates up properly. It's not all too difficult. The main problem you'll have is fitting the damn engine into the car.

I never have been impressed with H-series hatches. In my opinion they are heavier motors for a reason. And they were put in the heavier model Honda's for a reason. Just my opinion. And if you put a stock H22A hatch up against a B18C hatch. B18C hatch will come out on top. Just what i have seen.

I never have been impressed with H-series hatches. In my opinion they are heavier motors for a reason. And they were put in the heavier model Honda's for a reason. Just my opinion. And if you put a stock H22A hatch up against a B18C hatch. B18C hatch will come out on top. Just what i have seen.

in what sort of race? straight? auto-x? stop light to stop light?

I'd have a hard time believing that with all things equal that the H22's torque wouldn't walk on the GSR

custom turbo kit can do all that and more :)

damn, they must have added em to their list rather recently...
:worthy:

750 for the mounts
400 for the axles...

we'll see how my boosted z6 goes in my hatch
i've got a total of 3 z6's to blow up and 2 trannies to hold me over...
if i go through all those then i'll think about my 2001 H22 :drool:

Send a Z6 down here please? :)

I think a boosted Z6 would give you just as much power as the H22, but give you better gas mileage...

one z6 is beat bad, i think rings are shot, smoked like a whore, rod bearings are all bronzed, etc

the second one thats in my car now was boosted, showed shitty compression, i had the valves cut, re-ringed it, and now its getting boosted again, the third i just got for a decent price with an SI cable trans, these are going in after i grenade the current motor...
so basically you don't want any of em... lol

Back