90 Crx Ex swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drunkencat

Hello. I just bought my first Honda car. Its a 1990 Crx Ex 5 speed. The engine is toast. I've been reading many forums and trying to decide what engine to put into my Crx.

I have a buddy who is a certified Honda tech who will be helping me, and teaching me how to work on hondas. From what I have read from my research I am thinking about puting a D16A6 into my car. Since the D16A6 is the Crx Si engine will it just drop in and wire up or will I need to do some additional wiring to get the engine to work?

I am also open to suggestion on engines, however, I do not want to go the B route. I am looking for an engine that has options so if I get bitten by the Honda bug I can modify it to go fast or if not, its a good solid running engine that doesn't feel like a 4 banger. I am willing to spend up to $1000 on getting the car running. Interrior, and paint will be on another budget.

Last edited:
By EX you must mean Si.Also the Si engine is a d16A6.I would just go with the a6 and put a z6 head on it and convert to obd1 with a p28.You can do that for well under 1000 and have plenty left for some bolt-ons.

Yeah, my bad, its a B16A6 I was looking at. As far as the swap, could I just put in the A6 motor and plug it into my current wiring harness? Or will I need to add more wires? I have a D15B2 in there now.

Back