90 Prelude Swaps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prelude88

K, I've been a third gen prelude fan since I got my first one for my 16th birthday. I've had 4 to this point, and I've finally got one that is worth my time and money (lots of money) to work on.

Here's what she looks like now.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a21/nqbizzle/?

She's real clean, all the body work and stereo stuff I've done myself and I've decided before I go fibreglass crazy making skirts and bumpers, I feel I need to swap out the ole non-vtec engine, and put in a new powerplant.

That being said, what's the best option for this year of lude? I've heard about the h22s from the 4th gen Preludes, fitting with a custom mount, but what are some other choices?

I've seen the f22b from the Euro SiRs. The k20s from the Civics Sis and Type Rs. The b18 integras. From what I know (I'm a body guy, not an engine guy (yet) ), all of these motors are the v-tec. So, Questions

1.) Which of these motors would be a straight swap?
2.) If none straight swap, which is the best motor to go with in terms of performance and fitment in the Prelude?
3.) When I go with one of these motors, because they will be heavier than my current stock engine, will I need to replace the front axle from the same Year accord (Same chassis) to be able to support the new engine?
4.) Will the transmission bolt straight in or will I need mounts?
5.) Have I annoyed you enough?

Thanks for any help guys.

1) none
2) I haven't fitted any of them, but H22 is the best performer
3) The axles don't support any weight, just move it from point a to b. I doubt you'd need stiffer springs, but it couldn't hurt. Rather than do guess work, I'd weigh the front of your car, figure out what the difference in weight would be, and talk to a suspension tech.
4) You'll be using the correct tranny for your engine, with custom mounts, and likely custom axles.
5) Nah, we're used to incoherent ramblings. A two year old could write better than some guys that want help. You had good questions.

I'm not big into 3rd gens, but whats the possiblity of you just fixing up the b20 to handle a turbo? I'm not sure about the availibility of parts for the b20 but I figure you can definately get head work done. Gude offers cams for b20a5's and b21a5's. They have other stuff such as throttlebody's, and already prepped racing heads for your vehicle. I think any other engine in 3rd gen's have alot of work cut out for you. I say stick with the b20 (or 21) and build it up :)

Thanks for the responses.

I've never though of just redoing a b20. It's and interesting thought. =)

Although I would say I'd be somewhat disappointed in losing the vtec aspect =/

But, the main questions I had were answered, and now I'm not so scared.

I think I'll just have to buy another 3rd gen Lude, that way I can have both the vtec and the rebuilt turboed 20.

Solves my problem!

:D

Thanks guys!

Well.

Say I go with one of these vtec engines, does anyone know where I can find mounts for these motors?

Particularly for the h22a into the 1990 Prelude?

Found a great write up for it. The guy mentions PRI making mounts for the lude, but i couldnt find a website for the guys, i bet if you do some searching you can find it though.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190047

DesertNightEagle makes a great point though. I think you could get similar results out of a lightly boosted B20, and if you get a BOV, you get that head turn effect...just think about it :)

Back