91 CRX leaking hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Ok, it's been quite some time and I still have this problem I was hoping maybe some of the newer members might have some bright ideas. I have a problem with water getting into my hatch area, it seems to pool up were the lower portion of the shocks that hold the hatch open attach. It then drips down and creates a puddle in the spare tire well.

It's been suggested that I check out crx performance board, but I never did find the post that had tlked about this issue. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to fix this ??

There is an old thread about 3 yrs old now. check it out if you wish for reference
https://hondaswap.com/civic-crx-ef/rear-hatch-h20-leak-15530/

+1 I am experiencing the same exact problem. If anyone does in fact have any good ideas I would like to hear that as well.

How often do you use your hatch, have you ever thought about sealing it shut, just kidding.

All I can suggest is the same steps the other members have given in other post. Maybe a new back seal would work if you suspect it is coming from the seal on the hatch. That is probally what I would do. If you still have the same problem get a second seal that would stick onto the hatch and glue down the first seal you installed.

My moms Mazda had the same problem and that seemed to solve the problem.

I will probably end up buying a new seal for it here in the next few months. Id like to reaseal my whole car.

does the car have a sunroof? ive been told if the sunroof drains are clogged it can cause the same problem.

turbo sol, this is not an old thread as you can see the first post is from 1-17-2007, I looked up my old thread made reference to it, and thought quite possible some of the newer memebers might have some new clever ideads.

i would replace the seal. if that doesn't work, i would drill a small hole in the bottom of the spare tire well so it will drain. my 240sx actually has a big rubber plug there from the factory. lol

I fixed this recently in my rex by peeling back the weather stripping on the top of the car and re seeling it all back together... the factory uses spot welds to hold the center section of the roof on the car and on my car it looked like near the rear was not welded at all. JB weld is a good fix or actually weld it but i would take the interior pannels out before putting a welder to it... just dont want any REX fires! :mad:

guy i bought my last crx from said the trick was silicone seal in the trench on the upper outer corners under the hatch. i've never had the leak myself. also, some goob (sorry if it is someone from here) is selling 'the fix' for this on ebay for $3.75...just search for 'CRX hatch' and you should find it.

i seen someone use that spray foam in a can from walmart lol but i wouldnt afro engineer it like that id rather go to honda and order a new seal

somewhere on this page the thread shows the date. i can't seem to find it though. for some reason this seems like a really old thread.

under the weatherstrip on the roof of the car will be a small crack that water will go through it can even crack down into where the hatch is.just pull back the weatherstrip and fiberglass.

Back