91 dx swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

engineswap5

Hey guys, i just have a few questions reguarding my swap..... i have acsess to a complete d16z6 to replace my d15b2..... the d16z6 comes with the head , short block , intake, distributor , ex manifold... wireing harness and computer..... now will it simply be a matter of bolting the d16z6 in , taking out the old ecu and harness and putting in the new ecu, run the new harness threw the firewall, hook everything up and im done? Or is it more complicated then this? i think i saw something on the net saying it was more complicated but im not sure.... thanks for any help.... also, how big of a difference will it be going from a d15b2 to a d16z6? what rpm does the d16z6 stop making power? thanks again.

The Z6 will drop right in. Use everything from the Z6. You can either use the harness from the Z6 or you can add wires for vtec and convert to MPFI to your existing harness.

As for power, you can look that up on Google by looking for dyno charts.

Searching for answers is your friend. This swap has been covered hundreds of times on this site.

thx for the info... defenetly use the d16z6 ecu though right?

if you have done this swap can you post how happy you were with the results ...thx.

Yes. You will need to use the ECU that goes with the motor. The ECU for the D15B2 is different and won't run the motor right. It doesn't have vtec and isn't OBD1.

I have not done this swap, but I have friends who have done this. The Z6 is a good little platform to start with, especially if you plan to do more with it in the future. Our reference section has a motor list--you can access a bunch of information there to see numbers, or you could just Google it.

https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-engine-list-29128/

ya numbers are ok , but i was looking for more of a personal thought...and how big the difference was...but thx for the info george , i apprechiate it.

The D15B2 tranny will bolt up, yes.

As for the experience, a majority of the people that I know were happy with it. They were pleased with the increase of HP and the "peppiness" that came with the swap.

dont you need a obd0-obd1 harness? and will the di5b2 starter work on the d16z6 flywheel? and is the p28 manuel ecu just for the 5 speed will it work on the 4 speed?

You need the ecu that goes with the tranny I'm pretty sure. Starter should work but I'm not sure. Harnesses I'm pretty sure you need you can get it from www.rywire.com it's plug and play easy as hell they have your vtec subharness you need there too it's also plug and play.

I swapped out the d15b7 (100hp) for a jdm d15b vtec (d16z6 equivalent 125-130hp) in the 93 sedan I used to have. The power difference is really nice but it was also an easier swap because it was already mpfi and OBD1. Had to shell out $150 for that unique P08 ecu tho..

Also you'll want the ex/si tranny or you'll fall out of vtec power range when you shift.

Rywire vtec subharness made it really easy to hook up vtec they're great.

Back