92 sedan swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nfn

ok so a few years ago I swapped out my non vtec stock engine to a jdm d15b vtec.

But my question is what would you say is most reliable but best performance and hp wise engine to swap to (there's nothing wrong with the d15b just want dohc and a little more get up and go) I've been looking at b series engines mostly but also saw a h series would fit in it.

I guess my main questions are
wich b series would give me my best my bang for the price?
Wich would need the least modification?
Do I need new intake manifolds since they'll be JDM for all of the engines like the b and h series? ( i had to use my us intake on my d15b due to jdm not having spots for some of the vacuum lines etc)

and just random opinions the setup I've been looking at most is the b16a sir-2 from a jdm importer (any engine I get i'd be doing the timing, water pump, new headers etc)

thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, help etc

after some more research I think I've decided to go with a b18c type r engine from a integra

type R would be great to go wit they go for 3500 + install unless you can do it your self .. then you might need to rewire a couple of things..., and you need the integra shift linkage also.. you will want to have at least a dual core radiator in there and i dunno bout the a/c or power steering if you are going to keep those, but if you did this swap you will not regret it, cuz you will have good power and reliabilaty for a DD

or if you want direct bolt up wit good power find a ZC dohc motor i had one in my 4d civic and i still have it just sitting here mounts to every thing d series except the ps i never did find a bracket but i stopped looking

not worried about a/c when i swapped the stock engine to a d15b i never hooked a/c back up but would like to keep ps lots of reading but the b18c looks to be easiest swap with little to no modification outside of linkage, cv shafts and motor mounts I found one for around 4k with the tranny, ecu, linkage and cv shafts from same place I got my last engine (wich runs great just want something with a little more power)

oh and i got garage and some friends who are honda mechanics to help stick it in for the price of beer while we work

F-in A man if you got the money and the beer get that bad boy in there... and if you get the 98 spec trany the final drive gear is longer aka better gas mileage while drivin rather than the 96 spec..... me and my buddy did this swap in my garage into his 98 teg and he loves it cuz he has no problems ....but he misses his ls/vtec to4e turbo setup he had...

unless I've smoked too much...

The 98spec tranny is better because it has better acceleration over 96, not fuel mileage.

my buddy looked into it when he did the swap and he kept the 98 spec and said all the gears are the same except the final drive(5th gear) witch was bigger but not by much so either or would be a great choice cuz they are both lsd

when changing ecu's for new engine my car is a obd1 and the b18c5 i'm looking at is a obd2 the new engine comes with wiring harness up to the ecu should I just use that or would I want to get a adapter thing to change my current harness to fit the new ecu? or am i wrong all together and somehow able to use a obd1 ecu to run this?

you wont be able to use the wiring it comes wit cuz its for a right hand drive... unless its usdm version but if you used one for your's... the vtec one you might just have to extend a couple of wires and every thing should match up and for the ecu... i would look for an obd1 even a gsr one if you have to, you don't want to convert it to obd2 if you are obd1but i think the best way to go is get a p28 chip it and tune the car but that will be more than just finding a stock gsr ecu or type r obd1

^^ the B18C5 is a USDM engine, not JDM.

There is an article in the Swap Articles section on how to use an OBD2 GSR ECU in an EG.

ya i forget some time... when i hear type r i think jdm ...and i didn't look close enough to see the c5

lol there's some on e-bay that say b18c5 jdm even I thought maybe there was a usdm and jdm version of it

Back