'93 Dx Sedan Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wlfman__24

Hey, I have a '93 DX Sedan with stock 1.5L w/ manual tranny. I'm a daily driver and am looking to up my HP to get out of the way and leave other drivers in my dust. I was wanting to put a B18 into it until a shop near me said something about it not fitting under my hood without some modifications to my hood, something to the affect that it would be too tall. Is that true? Any ideas of thoughts and help would be great. ;)

u can shim the motor down, but that puts the oilpan/header closer to the ground. but if your not to low this wouldnt be a problem. or cut or notch the hood supports. or get a aftermarket hood.

:worthy: What type of clearence difference are we taling about only a few cmeters or are we talkink like 3 to 4 inch height increase?? I don't want to lower the engine in the car. Street in Texas are notorius for pot holes the size of VW Bugs and I already find myself rubbing from time to time.

no more than 5 in., but that's still probably overdoing it, it's more like 2. If you have to cut the frame of the hood then I would say.. 2inches.

well, in the 2/3 dr models, you don't have to do anything to the hood, but i guess the hood has a little more slope to it on the sedan...
we put a GSR into my buddy's CX, and althought you wouldn't knkow by looking, the hood fit fine

well, my friend put a b16a in his sedan without any mod's and i believe they sit a lil higher than a b18a, so it should fit fine. I have a b18a in a 1990 CRX Si and i got like an inch - 2 inches of clearance.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go with the B18 A posibbly C, depending on price and avalibility in my area. Do you guys have any recomendations or opinions on either engine?

If you put a B18B in it will clear fine. THe GSR head is a little taller and may have clearance issues. If you are not going to race, doesn't sound like you are, the LS swap is probably your best bet. You can turbo it later if you want more power and it responds very well to boost. The LS would be easier to swap in and cost a lot less than A GSR swap. You could spend the difference on upgrading suspension and brakes and have a good all around daily driver.

Back