94-99 LS to 2000 GSR Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thinking about putting a 2000 GSR Engine (5-speed) in a 94-99 LS Engine (5-speed). Is this doable? What do I need to know to finish the swap?

yes it is doable it is a good swap to do your gas miles might go down some but it is an easy swap all you need to do is take your ls off and put the gsr in and your done!!

THe ECU is needed also. I don't remember but you may need to run a wire for the IAB (secondary butterfly valves) in the intake if it is not already pre-wired in the harness.

One of the easiest swaps around. You can use the same axles, shiftlinkage, and mounts. Basically all you need is the motor, ECU and the transmission.

You'll have to wire the vtec, knock sensor and the IABs, very easy.

You dont even HAVE to get the transmission if you dont want. The LS tranny has longer gears, and the GSR has shorter gears, so you can pick which gearset you want.

LS - more topend, better gas mileage on the highway
GSR - more acceleration, less gas mileage, more fun

In fact, look here

this is an esay one just put the motor in and use the harness from it and the ecu and all the parts that would be the easiest way

I have a 2000 GSR motor and tranny, 1998 GSR ECU (P72 I believe) and was thinking of picking up a cheap LS to swap it in.

Do i need a 97-98 LS to use the 98 GSR ecu with the swap OR can i get any 94-98 LS?

Is there a difference between a 94-96 LS and a 97-98 LS, or do they all have the same ECU and plugs?

Thanks for all the info. You guys know your stuff.

i belive the 97 and up are obd2 which is what the engine and tranny you have is....so i would recommend buying one of these as it will ease the instal much in the wiring end of things

Originally posted by driver1@Apr 29 2005, 12:04 AM
i belive the 97 and up are obd2 which is what the engine and tranny you have is....so i would recommend buying one of these as it will ease the instal much in the wiring end of things
[post=492859]Quoted post[/post]​

i believe it is 96 and up

Can I plug in my 98 GSR ecu into the 96-98 LS plugs?

Are the plugs for the 96-98 LS the same as the plugs for a 98 GSR ecu?

AN ALTERNATIVE:

Can I just get a 94-95 LS and buy an ODB1 (94-95 GSR ECU) and swap my 2000 GSR engine in using the ODB1 ecu?

Thanks for the info everybody.

It seems that the RS models are cheaper than the LS. Is the swap the same in an RS? I'm assuming they have the same engine, just different interior features? Can anyone comfirm this?

I'll post pics when i get this rolling. Thanks again guys.

Let me help you better 94-95 integra and 92-95 civic Obd1 96-98 civic and integra Obd2a 99-01integra and 99-00 civic OBD2b what you need to do is get a 99 GSR harness and just plug and play and get a adaptor harnes to plug a Obd2a to a Obdb alright

ya boy steveo

Why the hell would he get an OBD 0 adapter for a motor that has OBD I, OBD IIa, and OBD IIb ECUs? That is a waste. And the harness he needs will depend on the car he gets, and the motor...since he has niether at this point, it is moot.

Ok guys,

Two last quick questions.

I believe I found the car I'm looking for.

It's a 1995 Integra LS (5-Speed) running w/ very good body but high mileage.

I have a 2000 GSR Engine and 1998 GSR ECU.

Will the 2000 GSR Engine Harness (coming off the engine) plug into the 94-95 wires in the engine bay (plugs by the passenger side strut)?

Should I source a 94-95 GSR ECU or just get ecu conversion wire harness (OBDIIa to OBDI) for use with my 98 GSR ECU?

Thanks guys.

wow old post!
I would suggest using a 93-95 GSR ecu (p72 obd1)

Should I and Could I?:

Option #1

1. Buy a cheap 94-95 Integra LS with high mileage.
2. Pull the engine and swap in a 2000 GSR engine I have in my garage.
3. Source a 94-95 GSR ECU and plug it in the factory harnesses.
4. Wire the vtec, knock sensor and the IABs wires.

Option #2

1. Buy a cheap 94-95 Integra LS with high mileage.
2. Pull the engine and swap in a 2000 GSR engine I have in my garage.
3. Buy a 94-95 OBD1 to 96-99 ODB2a conversion harness and use the 98 GSR ECU I have in my garage.
4. Wire the vtec, knock sensor and the IABs wires.

What do you guys think is best way to go and easiest?

Where can I find the articles for wiring up the vtec, knock sensor and the IABs wires? Tried searching but couldn't find it.

Thanks guys.

Back