94 coupe won't start, in start only constant fuel pump priming

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dustyb20

i have a 94 civic coupe with a b20vtec swap that i've had for 4 years now. last night during a storm my car suffered a little bit of interior water damage close to the driver door. this resulting water damage caused a nice little puff of smoke later on and fried the wires that run along the driver side carpeting under door, therefore i parked the car and decided to wait til today to mess around with it.

this am, i go outside and turn key, fuel pump primes normally, master relay clicks, go to start and nothing, dead... except the fuel pump is at a constant purge now until i release. try again, same... so i rewire ALL the wires running from the front panel which happens to be one of the plugs that comes directly out of your main relay, ALLLLLLLLL the way back to the next corresponding plug... MADE SURE not to cross anything, finish up about 3 hours later... try to crank and EXACT same thing.. no fire, no cranking, just fuel pump! no volt meter but checked over fuses and such with test light everything is good...

PLEASE HELP!!!!! this is my dd and currently my girlfriend's dd is having a swap installed due to faulty water pump

so, let me get this straight.
the fuel pump is priming, the main relay clicks, CEL flashes on and off as it should, but you arent getting any power to the starter?
how about the dash lights, are they coming on when the key is in the ACC position?

you are correct about all of the above, the harness that burned up was the rear harness located in the back of fuse panel under dash and wasn't due to water like i had originally thought but from the actual trunk brackets (the 2 steel rods that interlace to keep your trunk up) were pinching the wiring assembly and made a HUGE mess... it has been completely remade with all new connectors and wiring

all my lights are functioning, and BRIGHT, all interior functions are working all fuses are good, nothing out of ordinary except turning key to start seems to reset everything and primes fuel pump consistently

bleh, wiring problems suck, dont they?

back on topic, since you aren't getting any power to the starter, id suggest using that to identify the problem. grab your test light and a buddy and start testing at the plugs. begin at the starter (which is going to be an obvious no power), and work your way back. you may want to get a wiring diagram for an aid. thats really the only way i can think of figuring out what exactly is going on. you may have burned some wires at the ignition, etc. its hard to say.

have you checked ALL of the fuses in the underhood fusebox?

Back