94 ls Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Honda123

Hello,
I picked up a 1994 Ls integra for what I thought was a good deal.
Heres some info on the car, 170k miles, Automatic, runs and drives..
Now the problems:
1. Overheats after maybe 10 mins of driving...I think it may be the thermostat? (sensor does show it going up if that helps?)
2.Tranny seems to slip occasionally. especially if you give it a substantial amount of throttle.
3. Alot of Oil on #1 and some on #2 plugs, Blowby?
Its a bit sluggish on the get go, maybe the plugs and tranny are a reason?
This will be my first 4 cyl honda rebuild if I have to, so how hard is it?
Any thoughts on ls/vtec? How about turboing a rebuilt motor? Any upgraded internals I should get if I rebuild?
Thanks in advance

Bad motor if you got oil on plugs. Trans sounds bad too. Both are expensive to have re-built If you like the car and the body/interior are clean then save up for an OBD2 set up (for less mileage) and put the necessary OBD1 stuff off the motor that's in the car. If you feel frisky then you can do a AT to Manual conversion (b/c AT sucks for performance) Thoughts of an LS/VTEC....no You're Automatic!!!! And LS/VTEC's aren't nearly as reliable as the motors that have the correct block/head configuration....even built, micro polished crank and the whole nine yards...they're for monkey wrench gear head tuners with hook ups at machine shops (oh how I wish)

LS-VTECs can be reliable if you take your time and build them properly. I think they just get a bad rap because there are so many that get thrown together hastily and then break down later.

But yeah, I would definitely recommend an auto-to-manual conversion...

I am still patiently waiting to find an LS/VTEC that has passed the 25K mile mark. Anyone who gets a lot of miles...I want to speak to who built it.

Aww... so the motors bad? Probably needs at least a topend rebuild then right?
This isn't good news, but I shouldve known. How much does the manual tranny swap and a topend rebuild cost? Or at least what parts do I need? Ok so heres another thing, I found a guy who wrecked his 94 ls and said he would sell me the motor for l00 bucks.. Its got 120k and Its in the car still so I can hear it run. sounds like a good deal to me. I would buy his tranny too, but its auto as well..

Not worth the top end rebuild. Get a late 90's LS motor for about $500-700 put your distributor, wiring harness and alternator on it. Or just switch intake manifolds to get the harness off a little easier. Not sure how much a conversion cost. Its not hard to do but there's quite a bit to it. Lots of parts. Call around or look online for conversions for your car. Obviously you need the trans/slave cylinder/flywheel/clutch/throw out/etc. The entire shift linkage, shifter, mount and boot. Clutch hydraulic line that leads to the next part...clutch master cylinder. Then you need the brake/clutch pedal assembly. I think you need a different ECU too (5-speed P72)...or yours chipped....not super sure on that. You might not need any ECU changes. Other then some hardware...I think that's it. Not sure on the cost but hopefully someone will chime in.

CAFROG, weve got about 500 miles on our LS/Vtec turbo car, including some track passes, ill let you know how she holds up. The head is a B16 head, completely rebuilt, Titanium retainers, ITR Cams, Dual Valve springs on the intake side, using the LS/Vtec Kit from golden eagle.

Back