96 hatch hood latch problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic96

Hey guys, i have a 96 hatch with a failure hood latch. I bought a new one from Honda dealer and after several attends, the hood wont close all the way in because the latch is not push all the way. I noticed that there are three vertical line marks on either side of the latch which i think the latch need to align with in order for the hood to be push down and lock in. so if you have a 96-00 hatch (i dont know if all civic hood latches are the same, my brother's 95 ex has no line marks), please do me a favor and check your hood latch and tell me where the latch need to be align to those marks. thanks.

On my 97 coupe there are 3 horizontal marks and the latch has two marks that line up with first and third on both sides of it if that helps at all.

although the marks are set differently, i will give it a try next week when I put the carbon fiber hood back on. As for now, the hood is mysteriously locked and closed nicely in. I dont know how, but after numerous times of trying adjusting the latch, I failed, and feed up with it. I drove the car with only the hood hooked in a little (just like when you pulled the handle to pop up the hood) its dangerous and iam running the risk of the hood flips up and smashing my windsheld, but i only go under 60mph. I woke up the next day and the hood is nicely locked in, so I will just leave it for now and find out the proper alighements(marks) when puting the carbon fiber hood back on. thanks for the input and keep it comming...

Well, unfortunately you cant copy anyone else. Every civic will be set a little different. You just have to experiment and see what works best. Its the same with the door latches if you look there, you'll find the same refrence marks.

And DO screw with it until you get it right. Your hood may look and feel secure, but it may be barely haning on. Pop the hood, adjust it a little, and drop the hood from about 1 foot high. It should shut and lock. Just tighten the bolts enough for it to hold in place for one trial. Keep adjusting until it closes and locks. when you find the perfect spot, Tighten those bolts down good.

Also, check the alignment of your hood between your fenders. If the gap when closed is tiny on one side and huge on the other, you may need to adjust your hood fitment.

Why did the latch fail in the first place?

the latch failed for apprearantly no reason. I poped the hood for a regular oil change and couldnt get it to close. I tried to pop the hood without pulling the lever and its tight and will make sure it is 100% lock in when putting back the carbon fiber hood. thanks

Back