96 Ls Transmission Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skellagher

Elder Driver
First off i am NO newb to honda I have a 96 Ls with an automatic trans and i just want to know if it is possible to do a cable trans swap if so what steps do i take and are there any work logs?

What do you mean by "a cable trans swap"? Do you want to keep it automatic or change it to manual?

Edit: And by the way, don't post your questions in multiple forums, it's just annoying. Just post it in one place. You can always bump it if you're not getting many responses.

Last edited:
alright i want a 5speed trans but because of price and dont much like the hydro i would like to get maybe the ys1 and sorry bout double posting

What exactly is it that's making you want to get away from hydraulic transmissions? My thinking on the subject is that if hydraulic trannies are really that much worse than cable ones, then Honda would have just stuck with cable trannies rather than switching all of their cars over. The only real reason I can see to switch back to a cable setup is because you can get older cable B-series trannies for cheaper than the newer hydraulic ones.

Anyways, to answer your question, yes, several companies make hydraulic to cable conversion kits. I know for a fact that Hasport has one. I've seen others, but I can't remember where at the moment.

Trust me from experience, cable trannies are not near as good as the hydro ones. They are weaker, especially in the differential, and you don't have as many options as far as gearing. B16 trannies can only be sourced as jdm and gsr trannies are very rare and expensive. But the hydro trannies come us spec in gsr, b16, ls, and type r. Also, it is far cheaper as far as mounts to do a hydro tranny. All you need is the auto to manual mount instead of the hydro to cable mounts required to use the cable tranny. I must say that at least you decided to junk the slush box;), good luck.

Back