97 civic v-tech swap gone bad Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bradsonthego

I have a 97 civic I picked up that had a 92 v-tech head swap in it that smoked and barely ran. I want to put the 98 integra motor I have in it but have run into an ECU issue. The car had an OBD I ecu in it to run the V-Tech. What ECU'S can I use to run the OBD II Integra motor in my civic EX. The integra wiring harness is a complete body and engine harness were as the civic harness is separate body and engine harnesses. Can you even run a OBD II motor with a OBD I ECU without doing major changes?:confused: And finally shouldn't this Integra motor [ 1.8 ] swap in easily?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!
Brad

V "tech" ..

Keep the stock harness for the 97.
Obtain a p72 ECU , if the B series (integra) motor is VTEC.
If the 97 is other than an EX, VTEC pressure and solenoid wires will need to be added.

Yes, its a fairly simple swap. Providing you have the skeel and parts on hand.

Include some more specifics..To get a specific answer.

The civic is an EX but it has had conversion work done on it before my time and the work was shottie at best. (I found a temp. sensor screwed into the side of the back motor mount.). There are no numbers on the ECU so I haven't been able to identify it but I assume it is and OBD I as the motor is a 92 with a V-Tech head added on after the fact. I am not interested at this point in anything other than making the Integra motor run and it is Not a V-Tech motor and is a 98 model. So my primary question is what ECU can I get that will adapt the Integra motor to my 97 Civic EX with as little problem and expense as reasonably possible and not sacrifice the performance terribly.
Brad

So it seems someone swapped an OBD1 motor in your 97 (OBD2 car).
The temp sensor you are assuming, might be a bypass for the knock sensor, (they look alike) which also clues this civic is using its OG harness. Look for a jumper harness where your ECU is mounted and that should distinguish if its a OBD1 ECU or not. If I were to guess.. its the stock ecu for that car . p2p

The factory ECU for that 98 non vtec integra motor;;;
P75 : 96-00 OBD-2 Integra LS/GS

Assumingly you have the axels,shift linkage and tranny along with that integra motor, you will just need Bseries conversion mounts for your EK. 99-00 civic Si mounts should do the job as well.

Where are you located?
Pictures are always encouraged. It beats shooting in the dark. :ph34r:

V-Tech Swap gone bad

The Integra motor with the Civic manual tranny have been installed and most all connections where plug & play. I do have the Integra P75 ECU but the car has no fuel delivery from the pump and no spark. The pump has been tested and works fine by running a jumper power lead to it but will not operate on it's on thru the key operation. I have tried the original ECU and the P75. Neither works. I checked and there is no jumper harness but the previous owner has butchered the wiring. There are half a dozen cut and bare wire leads with an added wire that was connected to the head of the old motor that I assume was for the V-Tech head that was added.. I have in fact done a few motor swaps but never in a Honda my experience lies in the MR2 swapping the Camry V-6 3.0 into it, so I am somewhat familiar with swaps, modifications and fabricating but not with the individual idiosyncrasies of the V=Tech and Honda particulars. Is the Integra motor not a twin for the Civic Motor? If not what are the differences and how can you run a 92 motor that is OBD I on a 97 OBD II ECU without a major change in wiring and/or sensors? I have never heard of such as the two systems are like trying to run windows Microsoft on a computer that has a Lennox operating system.

I had to take a break but I am back and still have no fuel delivery and no spark from the p75 ECU. To whom ever was giving direction to last week I am in Tucson AZ. in the warm wonderland of 110 degree perfect weather...... for staying inside with the A/C on high...
Any way your help has been appreciated and I know I am just this.... close to driving again..
Thanx

The Integra motor with the Civic manual tranny have been installed and most all connections where plug & play. I do have the Integra P75 ECU but the car has no fuel delivery from the pump and no spark. The pump has been tested and works fine by running a jumper power lead to it but will not operate on it's on thru the key operation. I have tried the original ECU and the P75. Neither works. I checked and there is no jumper harness but the previous owner has butchered the wiring. There are half a dozen cut and bare wire leads with an added wire that was connected to the head of the old motor that I assume was for the V-Tech head that was added.. I have in fact done a few motor swaps but never in a Honda my experience lies in the MR2 swapping the Camry V-6 3.0 into it, so I am somewhat familiar with swaps, modifications and fabricating but not with the individual idiosyncrasies of the V=Tech and Honda particulars. Is the Integra motor not a twin for the Civic Motor? If not what are the differences and how can you run a 92 motor that is OBD I on a 97 OBD II ECU without a major change in wiring and/or sensors? I have never heard of such as the two systems are like trying to run windows Microsoft on a computer that has a Lennox operating system

Test the main relay. Does the fuel pump prime at all?

As far as Hondas go, an OBDII ECU would work on a OBD1 engine. Only thing the OBD1 engines lack that the OBDII engines had is a knock sensor and second O2 sensor; but since it's just a head swap that would not be an issue at all(the original D16Y8 head has the same hardware as the older D16Z6 head).

All 96-00 Civic EXs already have VTEC. A head swap from a 92-95 SOHC VTEC would be a bolt-on affair.

Back